Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should I ask for the VRI index for Christmas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 30 Nov 2003 17:45

This seems like a really useful resource to own; is it worth the money? Thanks!

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 30 Nov 2003 19:31

Helen I have got it. There are over 10.4 million births and christenings and 1.9 million marriage records on it and not one of my lot are on there! but I suppose if ever I do find someone it will be worth the money I paid, so yes I suppose it is worth it. I did find somebody for someone who asked me for a look up, so that was nice. Lynda

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 30 Nov 2003 19:37

Hi Helen If you do decide to have the discs DON'T get them from Ebay. they will cost you more than double. Get them from the LDS. The phone no. is 08700102051 this is a Birmingham number. Jill

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 30 Nov 2003 19:58

Jill, thanks for the advice and Lynda, thanks for the comments. I've also had a few emails so I'll think about it now!

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 30 Nov 2003 22:48

Helen It depends on where most of your ancestors were from... I've had FANTASTIC results when searching Wiltshire, but DREADFUL results when searching London! I've now got a very lopsided tree! It seems that some counties are very well covered, but others are absolutely hopeless. On balance, I think it is a useful resource, but a LOT of searches do up fruitless - so be prepared.

Carol

Carol Report 30 Nov 2003 23:47

I phoned LDS on a Tuesday and ordered with my credit card Discs arrived on the Thursday.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 1 Dec 2003 00:55

what we really need to know, and they aren't telling, is what's in there that's not on IGI (and why not?) If Wiltshire's good, could somebody let me know please if the Ogbourne St Andrew registers are in? if so I'll buy Trouble is, a big slice of my tree is in half a dozen parishes in Wiltshire, but I really couldn't care less about all the rest of Wiltshire

Lucky

Lucky Report 1 Dec 2003 16:47

I think they are the biggest waste of money, together with the NBI. I've never found anybody on them, I've only this week come across a buriel on the NBI, which I believe is mine, and I have had that since it came out.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 1 Dec 2003 16:51

I've certainly had a good mix of opinions! Just out of interest, would I be able to research any of hubby's Irish ancestors with it?

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Dec 2003 17:43

I found the baptism of my great-grandfather in Ireland and his brothers. I have also found various relations details in England. I think they are worth the money.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 1 Dec 2003 21:01

Okay, Mary, thanks!

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 2 Dec 2003 23:52

Robin - I've certainly come across references to Ogbourne St George... If you email me some of your names, I'll be happy to do a search for you. With best wishes, Linda