Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St Caths site....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 25 Nov 2003 20:09

Has anyone subscribed to the St Caths web site, www(.)stcaths(.)com and had any luck with finding any info or ordered certificates. It costs 15.00 GBP to subscribe, and then you pay for certs and extra searches if required. I have not looked at this site in great detail, and before I part with my money, I wanted to know what others thought.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 26 Nov 2003 08:39

Deafening silence so far... just to clarify, you aren't paying for exclusive resources, just for them to do some of your spadework for you. Can be a valid option, depending on your aims and circumstances. Not everybody wants to be an addict To compare, they charge 25 pounds for a 5 year GRO index search. Doing it yourself on 1837online would probably cost about 5 pounds and an hour of tedium (rough average, could be half that or double)

Derek

Derek Report 26 Nov 2003 09:00

Good morning Amanda, at least you received one reply more than I when I asked the same question a month or so ago. I assume it has not been examined by many, to me, it is a bit daunting to part with hard earned lolly, not knowing what exactly one receives in exchange for said lolly. Enough of that, are you within reach of Hamilton, Ontario? Derek

Jill

Jill Report 26 Nov 2003 10:37

Ive paid the £15 and to be honest i cant make head or tail off the site, I find myself going round in circles.(probably me having to many of them blonde moments!) Jill.

Amanda

Amanda Report 26 Nov 2003 14:31

Thanks to all who replied, Robin, I agree about 1837 online, I do not have enough information to know approx dates so therefore, I have only used this site once and spent a lot of money without much success. As I live so far away, I can not get to GRO etc.. to do research myself so maybe this would be a good option for me. Derek, I live about 3 hrs drive away from Hamilton, I'm closer to Toronto than Hamilton, was there something I could help you with? Jill, Did you actually order anything from this site, or are you still going round in circles? Thanks Amanda

Derek

Derek Report 27 Nov 2003 12:16

Morning Amanda, it is just for interest really, nothing to break ones neck over, if you see what I mean. However, I have a rellie Albert Francis Bannock born in Colchester, Essex England, b Oct 1883, who then came to USA in early 1900's. He married a canadian lady named Lilly (or Lillie) Ernestine Hancock, b July 1882 in Toronto ?. Her parents also came from England, but when ?. Although settlers to the new world moved around a lot, it may not have been Toronto, because in the last 48 hours, I have received info regarding her surname and info about her school. In Dec 1896 she was awarded by the Board of Education, Hamilton a book "Longfellows Poetical Works" for 4th Proficiency at Queen Victoria School in Hamilton. A new found cousin in California has this book in his posession at present. Enough history, what I would not mind finding is the place of birth for Lillie(Lilly) when and where they married, and how many children. I have 2 daughters, Ethel May b Mar 1911 in Beverly, Ma and d Oct 1993 Wilmington, LA,Calif. Ruth b Oct 1913 Ma(no town) d Oct 1947 (again no town). But somewhere along the line, I believe there was a son, Kenneth Joseph or Joseph Kenneth Bannock b Sept 1908 in Canada and died in Jan 1972 in Stockton, San Joaquin, Calif. He married a woman 30 years older than himself, named Charlotte Florinda Wasden, what a wonderful name! When and where, the Lord knows? Is that too much info? do not go out of your way, Amanda, I'm happy that you asked, lol, Derek

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 27 Nov 2003 13:17

> I do not have enough information to know approx dates stcaths.com only do a 5 year span for your 25 quid, so without dates you could spend several of those. It also remains to be seen what their approach is if you aren't sure of the place or the name spelling > so therefore, I have only used this site once and spent a lot of money without much success. put that doiwn to experience. Also, if you were looking at the earlier years when they still had single-letter indexing, that was expensive and painful, but they've reindexed those volumes now As I live so far away, I can not get to GRO etc.. to do research myself so maybe this would be a good option for me.

Jill

Jill Report 27 Nov 2003 16:22

Hi again, Ive now worked a little of it out. I havent ordered anything though. I like the 1837 online site and have ordered certificates from there, but you do need to know within a little what dates you need, otherwise £5 and 55 pages have gone before you know it. I have had some success with it though, which makes it all worth while Jill

Amanda

Amanda Report 28 Nov 2003 05:06

Derek Check your messages as I have sent you mail. Amanda