Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ex Residents site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 24 Nov 2003 14:40

Has anyone been approached from Expats site via Ex Residents ? I just received an e mail inviting me to look at yet another reuinion site - so far I can't place the person who sent me it and there was nothing in the message to say how she knew me - apart from through Ex-Residents.Maybe we should all be a bit wary of where we put our names - or am I getting paranoid ? Mary Brooke

Amanda

Amanda Report 24 Nov 2003 14:57

Hi Mary, I don't think your being paranoid, otherwise I am too. I am thinking exactly like you. I put my details on this site, and I have had no end of e-mails from people asking me to look at their websites etc.. Is this just a way of a company, having a site like this to then have access to all of our details, e-mail address etc,. so they can send us info like this, maybe I am wrong, but I am thinking of deleting my info of this site.

Mary

Mary Report 24 Nov 2003 15:47

At least its not just me - I think I'll take my details off there too. I don't want to be bombarded with stuff I don't want - already get enough junk mail. Mary Well, took all my addresses etc. off but can't seem to remove my name and e mail address ! How do I do it ? Just when I think I've cracked it I check again and there it is !

Dan

Dan Report 24 Nov 2003 16:36

Hi Amanda and Mary, I am the owner of ExResidents(.)co(.)uk. I run the site as a hobby, NOT as a business and NOT for any commercial gain. I can assure you that your details have never been passed onto anyone else. Yes, other members can contact you, but your e-mail address is never revealed - unless you choose to send them a reply e-mail. When a member’s message is sent to another member through the site, a footer is attached to the message asking you to report the sender to myself, if you believe the message to be spam – (so far only one member has reported such mail, and the sender’s account was removed). If you receive mail claiming to be associated to ExResidents(.)co(.)uk, then please forward it to myself. If you are referring to the Ya-hoo Ex-pat Group, then please note that this is run separately from ExResidents(.)co(.)uk (although yes, I manage the Group). The Group is owned by Ya-hoo (minus the dash) and they are responsible for any data that you enter there – they do have measures in place to prevent spam and all messages sent to the group are moderated. I can’t stop you receiving spam (if I could I’d be rich!), but details you store on ExResidents(.)co(.)uk WILL NOT be given to anyone else. Please use the Contact Us form on the site, if you wish to contact me. Dan.

Caz

Caz Report 24 Nov 2003 17:19

Dan, Details are on the way to you of a mail I received via your site inciting me to visit anoter expats site. There seems to be parasites. Carole

Dan

Dan Report 24 Nov 2003 18:07

Thanks again Carole. For the benefit of other users: The e-mail that Carole received concerned expatsreunite. This site is not related in any way to ExResidents. The person who sent Carole this e-mail was registered on ExResidents and had sent Carole this message via the site. It would be like making contact with someone via GC and simply including spam within the message. Unless the recipient replies, their e-mail address is not revealed. Therefore, if you have also received this message, your e-mail address was NOT known to the sender. If you have not replied to the e-mail, your e-mail address is still unknown to the sender. This type of activity breaches our terms and conditions and the sender’s account was removed. I’ll also be sending them an e-mail and contacting the website in question. If you receive similar mail do not reply to it (this prevents your e-mail address being revealed), simply forward it to myself. We will not reveal your e-mail address to anyone else! Dan.

Caz

Caz Report 24 Nov 2003 18:11

No, I didn't reply to it; Thanks for prompt action Dan; Cheers Carole

Kate

Kate Report 24 Nov 2003 22:58

Hi Dan Thank you for explaining this as I had one of those emails too,and No i did not reply. Kate

Mary

Mary Report 25 Nov 2003 09:17

Thanks for the information Dan. I don't feel so worried now but thought it worth pointing out. If I get any more e mails like that I'll forward them to you. Mary