Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish records pre civil registration - Tynemouth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 24 Nov 2003 10:34

Help! I'm at my first ancestral event prior to civil registration and I don't know what to do next. I have established from familysearch that my 3x ggrandparents were married on 10 Oct 1835 at Tynemouth, being John WILD and Mart BIRTLEY. How do I get further back than this pair? I can visit the Mormon temple at Bolton to view the Christ Church, Tynemouth Parish Records, but will it tell me anything that I don't already know? How do I find their dates of birth, their parents etc? until now I have researched everything online, including obtaining certificates, so going out of the house to research is an unknown thing to me! All advice gratefully received.

Deborah

Deborah Report 24 Nov 2003 10:52

Hi Stephen, Dont panic!! You may not have to go out!!! Try www.ukbmd.org.uk/ Use the links on the left to find anything on-line for tynemouth. Debbie

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Nov 2003 11:36

An 1835 marriage record won't give you fathers' names, and probably not ages, but it will tell you whether either was widowed or living in a different parish and will give you names of witnesses. Then it's just a case of trying to pin down the families they came from. Every case is different. You have to collect what info there is from any available source and fit it together, rather than setting out to find specific answers. IGI will give you an idea how many Wild and Birtley families there were in the area at the time. The standard of proof changes: you've got less information, especially when linking marriages to births, but against that, the population was much smaller then, so there's less room to go wrong The 1841 census is an underrated resource for making sense of parish records from the 1820s-30s, e.g. you might find that John and Mart had younger siblings still living with their parents not far away. Also don't overlook burials and MIs. Ages and parents can sometimes be found on gravestones when they aren't anywhere else, and just knowing who's in the same grave can tell you a lot

Stephen

Stephen Report 24 Nov 2003 11:43

Thanks - what's my best bet for 1841 census info? I am trying to shed light (unsuccessfully so far) via the 1851 census on genealogydotyouknowwhat. Incidentally it was Mary not Mart - my typo.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Nov 2003 11:51

1841: it's filmed, films are usually at main libraries in the relevant area or through the LDS. It's also on CD from Stepping Stones, but the scans vary from OK to unreadable. Think of it as an incomplete resource, like IGI or VRI or NBI

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 24 Nov 2003 16:42

Hi Stephen If this is any help to you... i have Northumberland Marriages1798--1813 1851/1871 census index for Tynemouth Also some census index's for North Shields

Mary

Mary Report 24 Nov 2003 17:16

HiI just looked in the Vital records and sure enough came up with the same information as you did 10 of October 1835John 'Wild married Mary Birtley at Christ Church. f you are going to the LDS the FHL is1068674. Having looked at the parish records for that area and church I can only say it depends on what information was given. Some of the entries havent even got Fathers name and some have both. From Tynemouth Christ Church I got these may or may not be relations 1824Samual BIrtley Chhristened 21sr Oct 1827 Father Samual Birtley Mother Mary 1820 22nd oct. Anthony Wild father John Wild Mother Mary 1825 19th Oct. Robert Wild Father william Wild mother Elizabeth 1828 7th of jan Matthew Wild Father William Wild mother Elizabeth

Michael

Michael Report 24 Nov 2003 20:11

hi stephen I work about half a mile away from Christchurch. Let me know exactly what you want, if I can't get in I'll try the local Family Centre in North Shields. good luck. mike

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Nov 2003 09:08

thanks to all for your responses - I'll email individual details. You are all wonderful!