Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone want to start transcribing for FreeBMD?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 23 Nov 2003 13:07

I've noticed the Scan2 syndicate are looking for volunteers. If you'd like to have a go, click on 'join FreeBMD' on their website and the contact details are shown.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2003 13:39

I tried, was accepted, had everything set up and not heard anything since. I cant wait to start helping, but things dont seen to be that organised.

Iz

Iz Report 23 Nov 2003 13:48

Helen, I would like to have a go, but was a little worried about making mistakes and also I am very slow at typing ! How much time does it require? Iz.

Gen

Gen Report 24 Nov 2003 06:46

Hi All, I started transcribing about a month ago and it is really easy, I found the hardest part was getting the files in the first place, I got a bit confused and was downloading the entire years index. Got that sorted out and now I do about 10 every other day, it takes about 20 minutes to do 1 page, the ones I have been doing only have about 35 entries per page and the programme does most of the work for you. Give it a go it is quite interesting if depressing at times I am doing deaths at the moment. Gen

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 24 Nov 2003 09:32

Hi Clare Why don't you try Freecen they are really wanting transcriber and it doesn't matter how long you take or how slow you are, and it is checked for mistakes anyway, Please!! Ann,Darlington

Julie

Julie Report 24 Nov 2003 11:27

Genevieve, how come you have only 35 entries to a page mine have had over 300!! generally i do a page over 2-3 days, depending on the quality of the scan julie T:)

George

George Report 24 Nov 2003 11:46

Julie Swap you one of your pages for one of mine. I have been doing 1849 births and 1865 deaths. All have 40 entries per page BUT are handwritten and usually undecipherable (spell ?) I have done about 40 pages in the last month and a couple of times have asked for a printed page just to rest my eyes (squinting helps) George

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 24 Nov 2003 18:20

I have been a FreeBMD transcriber for a couple of years now. Sometimes I do a dozen or so pages a month, other times only one or two. I have never done a page with less than 300 entries. For the last few months it seems that I have only been doing death entries. I agree, it can get depressing doing deaths all the time, especially the babies and twins. But then I think of all those genealogists waiting to see the entries that I have typed and it then all worth it. Teresa

Helen

Helen Report 24 Nov 2003 20:29

I've only been doing it for a couple of months. It was a bit confusing at first but like most things it gets easier as you go along. I too have been given the earlier pages to transcribe, 40 entries to a page and all handwritten. It is good when you check on the FreeBMD site and see the number of entries against your user name. It amazes me the amount some people do, thousands of entries in a month, they must do it full time. I don't feel any pressure to do loads, I know that each page is helping others with their research, so I aim to do a page a week. I've also found if you get a really bad scan it's worth paying the 10p to get another copy from 1837 site, it's usually much better quality and easier to read!

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Nov 2003 20:47

Hi Ive thought about joining. Without sounding to silly what actually happens once you have put your name down to be a transcriber? Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Nov 2003 21:02

Sarah, from experience not much!!