Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is that?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Nov 2003 22:23

I got marriage certificate which stated the bride address is 'The Lane'. Can you help me where is it as it didnt say where. I cant find her, Emma Sarah Virtue, on any census, so I got the birth and marriage certificate but still no luck!! Valerie She got married in 1882 in St. Olave and she was born in 1864 in bermondsey.

Karen

Karen Report 22 Nov 2003 22:34

Hi Valerie You didn't mention any dates, so I've had a quick look on Free BMD and have come up with EMMA SARAH VIRTUE, b. Bermondsey, Mar 1864 quarter, married in St. Olave 1882, June quarter. Have I got the right person? Karen

Annie

Annie Report 22 Nov 2003 22:49

Hello I had one saying Front Street and originally thought something was missing. But I did find it in the end. what location does it say for where the marriage took place? and what date was the marriage? Best wishes A

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Nov 2003 23:27

Karen , Yes you have got the right person. Valerie

Belle56

Belle56 Report 22 Nov 2003 23:34

Hi Valarie, The Lane, could possibly be East Street in Walworth, its a famous market street, well famous if your a south londoner, and is also call East Lane. Hope this helps. April.

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Nov 2003 23:36

April, Yes you could be right it is that famous market in walworth. I will have another look, Thanks for that information. Valerie

Karen

Karen Report 22 Nov 2003 23:48

Hi Valerie St. Olave is a short name for the parish St. Olave Southwark, which used to encompass Bermondsey and Rotherhithe (abolished in 1901), Southwark St. John Horsleydown, Southwark St. Olave and Southwark St. Thomas. I did find a reference to a 'New Lane, St. John within St. Olave' which was first referred to in documents in 1862. If you want to find out where it was on a current A-Z map of London, refer to the 'Lost London Streets' website or the 'Victorian London A-Z Street Index' Good luck! Karen