Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

R.F.A.?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 22 Nov 2003 12:18

Could someone please tell me what the letters RFA stand for. I realise it is to do with the Forces, but haven't managed to find out yet? Thanks, Debbie

Sue

Sue Report 22 Nov 2003 12:25

Debbie Put "Royal Field Artillery" in a Google search - you'll get all the information you need. Sue

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 22 Nov 2003 12:37

I think this could be the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. These would be ships attached to the Navy - often for supplies. Elisabeth

Deborah

Deborah Report 22 Nov 2003 12:47

Thanks Sue & Elisabeth, I'll give both of those a try. Debbie

Kay

Kay Report 22 Nov 2003 13:37

Hi Debbie It is The Royal Fleet Auxillary. My husbands friend is in the RFA and has just returned from the Gulf, he was on one of the supply ships that left Southampton with the Sir Galahad. Kay

Sue

Sue Report 22 Nov 2003 13:45

Debbie When you've found out which one it is please tell us!! Sue

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 22 Nov 2003 13:45

Sorry, think it might mean both. My Dad was in the Royal Field Artillery - referred to as the RFA. Think it might depend on the year. First WW was Royal Field Artillery which no longer exists. Probably nowadays means Royal Fleet Auxilliary. Kathleen

Sue

Sue Report 22 Nov 2003 13:58

Kathleen I automatically think of WWI/II for the forces. Depends on our ages I suppose! Sue

Deborah

Deborah Report 22 Nov 2003 15:18

Hi All Sorry, been off the board, had a sudden influx of contacts about names in my tree. (How exciting!) Been replying. I haven't had a chance to follow this up properly yet, but my guess is it will be Royal Field Artillery. It shows on 2 different certs, but concerns the same person. One dated 1917, the other 1918. Occupation - Sergeant RFA. It must be Army or Air Force, I don't think they have Sergeants in the Navy, do they? If they do, then I'm not sure how I'll find out!! Thanks all, going to have a little look now, will let you know! Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Nov 2003 22:17

Hi all, The answer was Royal Field Artillery. Plus a big bonus! Put the said persons name in search engine, and he is on a site all about the 27th Regt RFA. Lists him as a casualty of gas bombs in Ypres!! Thanks for your help Debbie

Sue

Sue Report 24 Nov 2003 12:41

Well done Debbie - what a bonus! Sue

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 24 Nov 2003 13:04

Deborah - which site was it?? - I have a couple of fellows who were in the R.A. too. Sue D.

Deborah

Deborah Report 24 Nov 2003 14:16

Hi Susan, It was on a site called From the Western Front to Salonika, written by Chris Morton, researching his grandfather. Site address is : www.users.globalnet. co.uk/~cjmorton/services.htm leave out the space Debbie

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 24 Nov 2003 21:53

Thanks Debbie - I'm off for a look! Sue.

Peter

Peter Report 24 Nov 2003 23:33

Hello, re RFA, hope this helps. The Royal Fleet Auxilary are vessels that act as supply ships for the RN, but they are manned by Merchant Navy personnel for the most part. They are Merchant ships not RN. They will however carry spesialised RN personnel on board (usually for communications and I think refueling at sea). the Troop landing ships Sir Galahad etc also carry MN personnel. I used to supply seafarers to RFA ships when working (shoreside) for the MN, and seem to remember that the RFA came into being in the 1st WW. (err, from photos, not personal experiance! :-) ). Now here is a coinsidence (Hellfire why is there no spellchecker available! :-) ), I have just been looking through some old photos, amongst which were photos of a ship I was on, (QE2) being refueled at sea by RFA Apple (or Bramble)leaf during the Falklands war. Log back on to CG and notice the ??? re RFA! Anyhow hope the info maybe of use to someone. Peter