Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, what is a skewer Maker?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 21 Nov 2003 19:13

anyone know what a skewer Maker is? someone who makes metal skewers for meat????

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 21 Nov 2003 22:37

Have checked several websites and can't find anything to suggest otherwise. Maz .XX

Georgina

Georgina Report 21 Nov 2003 22:40

Don't suppose he makes skewers? those things you impale people or things with (i.e. kebab skewers - or is it only me that calls them that)

Georgina

Georgina Report 21 Nov 2003 22:53

Found list on the dictionary online: Definition: [n] a long pin for holding meat in position while it is being roasted [v] drive a skewer through; "skewer the meat for the BBQ" Someone had to make them after all. Wonder if we'll soon be ancestors listed as paperclip maker and such?

Annie

Annie Report 21 Nov 2003 22:59

Well why not? I have got one who is a WhaleBoner .. ? I suspect for corsets .. A

Bob

Bob Report 21 Nov 2003 23:16

Seems to be a common occupation and often done at home. I found this description but with no scource: "Wooden and yes, probably used for meat cooking, where roasting in a single heat source oven needed all the help which could be got. Piercing with a skewer let the heat get to the middle of the joint better than leaving it in a solid block. And chickens had their bits anchored together with skewers (and string)"

Paul

Paul Report 22 Nov 2003 00:09

Seems to be common to "Disley" as well Paul

Ronald

Ronald Report 22 Nov 2003 08:42

Skewers were made from the stems of a shrub called dogwood or dagwood in the olden days. The latin name is Cornus sanginea and it grows wild in UK. Later skewers were made from twisted metal and were quite commonly used by butchers up to recently but now meat seems to be kept from falling apart in cooking by elesticated stocking. Ron Frith

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 22 Nov 2003 09:10

Alas!, long gone are the days of the beef joint with a skewer going through it !! When you stop and REALLY think, you then realise how old fashioned the 60 and 70' were :-( We'll have our kin looking us up one day and asking what is an IT consultant!! Viv

Chris

Chris Report 22 Nov 2003 13:06

Thanks everyone for your help, at least now i have an idea what it is. Occupations are what make your ancestors much more interesting.