Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone heard of a place called Devizen?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 20 Nov 2003 22:16

Its listed on the GRO indexes for 1860. Anyone got a clue?

Emma

Emma Report 20 Nov 2003 22:20

Georgina, I had a look on google and nothing at all comes up on a search. Don't suppose it's meant to be Devizes? Emma.

Avril

Avril Report 20 Nov 2003 22:21

Could it be Devizes?

Katwin

Katwin Report 20 Nov 2003 22:22

Probably Devizes in Wiltshire. Regards, Kathy

Georgina

Georgina Report 20 Nov 2003 22:22

could be....

Georgina

Georgina Report 20 Nov 2003 22:25

Nope , I just checked the census record in magnification on 1837online, and its DevizeA.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 20 Nov 2003 22:37

If it's in the GRO index, it's got to be the name of a Superintendent Registrar's district, not just any old place, so there's only a fixed list to choose from -- you can see that list on the FreeBMD search page. So it'll have to be Devizes. You do get typing errors, they didn't have Tippex then

Georgina

Georgina Report 20 Nov 2003 22:38

Think you are right, must be devizes Thanks everyone

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Nov 2003 11:46

Hi, Just for the record, my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather shows on the 1881 Census his birthplace as Peardes, Wiltshire. Had me stumped for many months. When I finally got his birth certificate, turns out it was Devizes, so your transcription seems pretty accurate to me! Sarah