Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Luxemberg jews

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 20 Nov 2003 17:10

My family name is Kahn. Have traced back to my Great-grandfather who came to Liverpool around 1840/50. He shows his birthplace as "Luxemberg,Germany." Does anyone know whether this description of birthplace relates to any particular part of Luxemberg ? As far as I can tell at that time Germany made no claim on Luxemberg although such description seems fairly common. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 20 Nov 2003 17:54

Hello Alan, According to my ancient set of encyclopaedias: Luxemburg was, from the 15th century owned in turn by Burgundy, Germany,Spain, France and Austria. In 1815 it was made a Grand Duchy by the Congress of Vienna and placed under the rule of King William I of The Netherlands; but in 1830 the western portion wasincluded in Belgium. In 1867 the European Powers guaranteed its independence and declared it neutral territory. Dierdre X

George

George Report 20 Nov 2003 20:19

Hi. Have you tried contacting The Anglo-German Family History Society. Their address is in all the usual magazines and The Genealogical Hand book. george

Alan

Alan Report 25 Nov 2003 10:29

Deidre & George Thanks for the info. Will try as you suggest. Alan