Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

more help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcie

Marcie Report 20 Nov 2003 07:39

hi today i received the transcript of my 5x greatgrandfather william bunch & mary searle 1739, i thought i would be receiving a copy of the certificate, how can i get a copy of this? i did it all through hants record office, is this the norm only to get the transcript? please advise marcie x

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Nov 2003 08:04

Marcia Do you mean their marriage?, only it doesn't say. Marriage cerificates as we known them didn't start until 1837. What you probably have is a transcript of the entry in the parish register. In the early days, baptisms, burials and marriages were all in one book. The best you can hope for is a photocopy of the entry, but that is probably just a couple of lines saying ? of the parish of ? and ? of this parish were married and the date. Something like that. It may say if they were married by banns or licence. Not a lot more. No parents names or occupations or even signatures. I can't remember when they had to start signing or leaving their mark. It may have been 1837. You could always ring and ask Margaret

Marcie

Marcie Report 20 Nov 2003 08:45

hi margaret yes your right it was their marriage,if thats all i will get i think thats possibly as far as i can go,oh well off to get cup of tea and drown my sorrows,if only i could think of a way forward from here, there are lots of bunches in hants prior to william, its so frustrating, but anything else would be guessing, marcie xx