Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Were Travellers recorded on the census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Nov 2003 17:21

Hello There is a rumour that my gt grandfathers family were travellers, i cannot find them on 1901 census. Does anyone know what would happen in these circumstances. Thanks Sharon

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 19 Nov 2003 18:10

Sharon, My relatives were also travellers and yes they were recorded on the census. Ive found my grt grandfather on the 1891 census for Plymouth. The address is just listed as Market P1 Travelling Caravans, St Andrew in Plymouth. I think youd have to have at least a vague idea of where they might be in the country though. Have you any idea of what the fair/travellers were called or where abouts the went?? Demelza

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Nov 2003 20:08

Hi I have just found them after weeks of looking. Their surname was mistranscribed that why i didnt find them before. I had tried different ways of spelling it but not totally changing the first letter. Have contacted the website to tell them of their mistake. Thanks for your reply anyway Sharon