Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Carwich

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Nov 2003 12:03

I have London carwich as place of birth on the 1901 Census. Now I know London fairly well and for the life of me it's ringing no bells and must be a transcription error. I can't think what it's meant to be. Any suggestions?

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 18 Nov 2003 12:14

I think it is a transcription error. I bet if you saw the original you would be able to tell straightaway. Have you seen the original? Someone might be able to look at it for you if you can't. Lynda

Helen

Helen Report 18 Nov 2003 12:16

Can only think of Dulwich, Greenwich and Woolwich - Dulwich obviously has the correct number of letters...??? Helen

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Nov 2003 12:19

Helen - dulwich is what i immediately thought of but I know at least two of them were born in Islington which is a fair way away. I've not seen the original as I just downloaded the household details to clear up a missing aunt and never thought I'd need it. Zoe

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 18 Nov 2003 12:24

Zoe I was born and brought up in Islington, and cannot think of anything that sounds like it. Lynda

Helen

Helen Report 18 Nov 2003 12:44

Is might be a road name (although don't know of any roads called that and have just checked the A to Z) as some of my lot gave their places of birth as the road or even the name of the building they were born in. Think you'll have to get a copy of the original I'm afraid! Helen

Derek

Derek Report 19 Nov 2003 16:50

Hi Zoe, have you looked at Google (UK pages), just ask for Carwich ! and smile, Derek

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Nov 2003 16:58

Rosemary, Thanks for the offer. I actually have them on the 1891 . I was just typing up the details to pass onto someone who's interested in the same section of my tree and was intrigued as to what word they misread to come up with carwich cheers zoe