Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Proof of paternity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Nov 2003 12:25

Can anyone tell me whether gentry accounts are made public at all? I have an ancestor born in the 1870s who was illegitimate and whose father was said to be a member of the gentry. Father's name doesn't appear on the birth certificate of the child nor is he mentioned in the will. The mother never married, was a seamstress and lived alone "on own means" according to the 1901 census. We believe that she was paid off. Can we prove it? Shirley

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Nov 2003 13:41

Hi, If the arrangement was private then you will never get any proof. However, she may have applied to the courts for support and an order made against the father. Court records are usually held at the County record office. Gwynne

Katwin

Katwin Report 17 Nov 2003 14:43

Did the child ever marry? The mother may have told the child who the father was, and it may have appeared on the child's marriage certificate. Regards, Kathy

Jane

Jane Report 17 Nov 2003 14:58

Hi Have you looked at a2a(.)gov(.)uk? This has the county records for all sorts of offences including women taking men to court for maintenance, along with lots of other interesting records, details of people being taken to court for stealing pigs, lengths of cloth and so on. If she did take him to court you might find it there. Jane

Penny

Penny Report 17 Nov 2003 17:34

Hello Jane, I've just tried to search the website you recommended and 'page is unavailable' is the address correct?(I did remove the brackets!!) Thanks Penny

Shirley

Shirley Report 19 Nov 2003 10:33

Is there a similar list for Wales? A2A is English - but very good!

Jane

Jane Report 19 Nov 2003 11:56

Hi Sorry! - Amanda you are absolutely right - I missed out the pro - should have looked it up properly before typing it! Regards Jane