Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slater's Directory? what is it please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Nov 2003 16:05

I have come across a web site in Durham with some of my names on it, but all it says is that they are in the Slater's Directory and page number. Does anyone know what this directory is please. Thanks Kim

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 16 Nov 2003 17:08

Hiya - dont know for certain but I would assume it's similary to Kelly's Directory or Wright's Directory - these were early yellow-page-type directories published for each town/city - street by street (I believe each householder was asked if they wanted an entry in the directory - obviously tradespeople were the obvious targets and those who thought they had some standing in the community. It's unlikely that the poorer end of the population elected for an entry, as it would have cost them money they could ill-afford) The entries were then cross-referenced to an alphabetical listing, and then indexed by trades. Maybe Slater's were a regional directory, as I do not think there is a Slater's Directory for Nottingham (could be wrong of course) but have seen both Kelly's and Wrights in the local library and it makes very interesting reading. No doubt someone will point out the error of my ways - all the best anyway. Jacqui

Bob

Bob Report 16 Nov 2003 17:25

The directory is available on line at ancestry[.]co.uk. The bad news is that you have to subscribe

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Nov 2003 18:00

Hi Kim Do you want me to ask when I go to the Library tomorrow? Your friend in Darlington Ps did you see my thread----- I thought I was but I'm not re ? being related to Captain Cook I'm so disappionted but never mind. See you in the New Year

George

George Report 16 Nov 2003 18:04

www(.)historicaldirectories(.)org George

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Nov 2003 21:48

Many thanks to you all for your replies. George, now I have had a glance, maybe they are not mine! no money in family! but I have to say the site is very interesting though. thanks for that Ann, Sorry about that, but if you don't delve you don't find! thanks for the offer your a true gem, but I actually went on witnesses and it came up with all sorts, there was a Lazenby on there though from Darlington, will email you direct. Kim