Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Boffins - Please Help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 16 Nov 2003 13:19

See below

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 16 Nov 2003 13:28

Like most people with home PC's I have to share with other members of the family. It's always a fight between me and my 2 daughters to get on here. But recently things have started to go a bit haywire with the PC. Problem No.1 Last week number 1 daughter was messing around trying to change the desktop appearance. Since then I keep getting an awful lot of pop ups which I never got before. Don't know if the 2 are connected. Problem No.2 Yesterday number 2 daughter was on the internet. She was messing around for a while then decided she wanted to go to the CBBC website. When we typed the address in the Address Bar and clicked go it came back with a totally different website - Click Broadband. It does this with a few other sites too, but fortunately not any of my genealogy ones. Phew! We can find CBBC using the search engine though. If anybody has a cure for any of these problems I'd be grateful for your help. Please would you make your answers very simple cos I am a very simple person where computers are concerned! Thnaks Jeanette

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Nov 2003 13:37

It could be that you have some spyware on your computer. A firewall can help to stop this but not always. I ran a check on my machine yesterday and had 47 different spys! I downloaded the google toolbar that stops popups and takes me straight to google when I do a search. I am sorry but I can't remember the address I got it from but if you start at google you might find it. I used to get loads of pop ups but now I surf in peace which is wonderful. The only downside is that some sites open windows that the pop up stopper thinks are pop ups, but its easy to say you want that one to be seen. Adaware is the programme you can download for free that will help you delete spyware from your machine. Its by Lavasoft lavasoft(.)element5(.)com/software/adaware/ is a starting point and then look aorund the site. Not a huge help, but a start! Barbara

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 16 Nov 2003 15:12

Thanks Barbara. I'll give it a go. Jeanette

Bob

Bob Report 16 Nov 2003 17:08

Jeanette I too reccomend lavasoft - It's free and safe...Each week you should take some time to housekeep your computer. Update lavasoft before you run it. Do you get all the updates from microsoft...This is a bore but essentiial for safety. Have you got Norton or similar? That will stop pop-ups but you must update it once a week and run a full scan. There is lots more if you want:) ps: If you have XP then you can all have different desk tops etc but make sure that you are the admistrator

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Nov 2003 00:13

Hi Bob I do get the updates from microsoft but have to admit that I am guilty of ignoring them. I also have an anti virus thingy but don't know how to run it. (I did warn you I was dim!) I have taken note of your suggestions and will be putting them into action. I'll get number 1 daughter to show me tomorrow. I have ME and have obviously been very lucky not to have got any of the recent spate of viruses. Thanks Jeanette