Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage in Scotland....and later in England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 16 Nov 2003 13:04

I'm hoping somebody can help with an unusual situation in my family. George Shearer and Eliza Mitchell married in Newburgh, Fife in 1837. In 1851, Eliza married William Short. I thought (until recently)that George must have died between 1837 and 1851. However, George (who was a master mariner and sailed a lot as far as records show) had a family with Martha Crumly, the children being born between 1857 and 1868 in Poole. Martha died in 1874 George was remarried in Southampton in 1875...to Eliza Mitchell, his first wife!!! The 1881 census shows Eliza Mitchell living with her children from George and also some of her stepchildren, born in Poole. I don't know how this happens - would the first marriage have been annulled or would they have divorced, and if so, how could I find records of this? Any help with this one would be greatly appreciated! Neil

Stan

Stan Report 17 Nov 2003 00:49

Hi Neil Even a master mariner would find it hard to afford a divorce in those days. I always understood they were still done by Act of Parliament. I suggest it was a way of not having to admit that his children were illegitimate by being the offspring of a bigamous marriage. After all, who in England would know he had been married in Scotland? He must have kept up some sort of good relations with his wife for her to have him back permanently with a load of extra kids! Do you think she knew about his arrangement? Best wishes Stan

Carol

Carol Report 17 Nov 2003 01:57

They don`t make it easy for us, do they?

Neil

Neil Report 23 Nov 2003 13:07

Thanks Stan I have since found a distant relative through genesconnected, and have worked out that George and Eliza married again in Southampton in 1875. I'm going to send off for the marriage certificate and see whether it provides any useful insights!! Neil