Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I go to London Metropolitan Archives or Guildha

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Nov 2003 19:41

I recently posted a question re parish/church records in London. I received a lot of help and was told to go to the LMA which I intend to do on 22nd November. However, have been reading 'Ancestral Trails' and am now confused as they say a lot of records are held at Guildhall Library. Can anyone tell me what is held where. Have been into LMA website but got worn out trying to find what I was looking for. It was late. Georgina Clements

Janet

Janet Report 14 Nov 2003 21:18

Georgina 1 or 2?! (see another thread if you don't know what I mean!) Very good question - I've been wondering exactly the same thing. Has anyone got an answer? Janet East Northamptonshire

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 14 Nov 2003 22:00

Hi there: I think that the Guildhall Library carries mainly the City of London Church records etc. whilst the L.M.A. holds the London Boroughs churches, except for Westminster which holds its own records. Jean.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Nov 2003 22:40

Thanks Jean That's what I thought. You've answered my question. Thanks Janet East Northamptonshire

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Nov 2003 22:43

Hi Jean, You sound as if you know what you are talking about. Could you elaborate a bit on City of London Church Records and London Borough Churches. My family come from all over London and some from Westminster. Where are Westminsters kept and how would I know if a particular church was City of London or London Borough. sorry if this is a stupid question and I have not done enough reseach. But you don't know what to reseach until you get information like that which you have just given. Georgina

Georgina

Georgina Report 15 Nov 2003 11:42

Hi janet, You seem to know what Jean means. Have not heard from her could you answer my query? Georgina

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 16 Nov 2003 09:27

Georgina, Sorry I haven't replied before but was out yesterday and have only just seen your message. City of Westminster Archives Centre is at 10 St. Ann's Street, London SW1P 2DE. Web site : http://www.westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/index.cfm. With regard to London Churches if you go to http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/ they have a list of City of London and London churches which I have found very informative. If you have loads of London ancestors, which I have, there is a very good booklet published by West Surrey Family istory Society called Genealogical Research in Victorian London which lists the churches, addresses and where the records are held, i.e. either by the LMA or the Church itself. It only costs £2. and has been invaluable to me. Hope this helps. Jean.

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Nov 2003 21:56

Hi Jean, Thanks that is a great help. Am going up to London on 22nd (my Birthday treat) and want to make the most of my time. Georgina