Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jessie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 18:03

Could anyone tell me what Jessie may be short for apart from the obvious Jessica thanks shona

Janice

Janice Report 14 Nov 2003 18:05

Jessie is a name in its own right.

Annie in

Annie in Report 14 Nov 2003 18:14

Jessamine is a more unusual alternative. Prior to this century most Jessies were just Jessie,unless they were Jewish,then it was Jessica.

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 18:16

Could Janet be a possibility. Shona

Annie in

Annie in Report 14 Nov 2003 18:20

Not come across it before,but with genealogy anything is possible! I have a Mary Gertrude going under the name Ciss,and an Isabella Elizabeth known as Ann!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2003 18:25

Hi Shona, Janet is definitely a possibility. I have quite a few Jessie's who were born Janet's. Regards Margaret

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 18:36

Thanks I came across Jessie as parent on wedding cert and Janet listed as mother of another sibling and am just trying to make sure it could be the same person Shona

Janet

Janet Report 14 Nov 2003 21:20

I've never been called Jessie in my life! There is a male and female version (female) Jessie and (male) Jesse. Janet East Northamptonshire

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2003 22:00

Hi Janet, Might I ask what year you were born? I think that the Janet/Jessie thing was probably a bit before your time. There are also quite a few variations of my name that I have never been called. JANE - Nick names/variations - Janet, Janie, Jessie, Jenny, Jinsey, Joan, Joanna, Virginia This was from - http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm Regards Margaret

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 22:07

Thanks for the information Margaret. My Jessie(Janet) would have been born around 1863. Sorry if you are offended Janet Margaret - on another matter could you possibly do me an 1881 Scottish lookup for a Patton Orr Lynch born 31 July 1856, although with that name I cant imagine there are too many anywhere. I have his d.o.b. but I seem to have lost him Thanks if poss Shona

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2003 22:20

Hi Shona, I have just been looking for that one for you but can't find anything that even resembles it. I have tried all variations of those names. I even looked in the whole of the UK. Do you not have any other family member that I could look for? Have you tried the 1891 or maybe for his death? Regards Margaret

Janet

Janet Report 14 Nov 2003 22:30

Shona No - certainly not offended! Just had never heard of that variation before. Margaret (whisper......... "1946")!! Janet East Northamptonshire

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 22:35

Thanks again Margaret but I think I may be having to look into death records here. I have his parents living in broxburn in 1881 with some other siblings so I assumed he had moved away but perhaps not Shona

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2003 22:41

Hi Jessie oops sorry Janet - that was a good year! I think they named tyres after it LOL!! Hi Shona - Have you used the Scotlands People site before? Regards Margaret

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 22:48

Hi Margaret Yes I have used Scotlands people. Once I start there I quickly use up my credits- fascinating place-so I was trying to explore other options first. I think I will have to check them out again soon. Thanks for your help Bye the way, do you know what an irregular marriage meant Shona

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2003 22:54

Hope this helps Shona - The appropriate procedure for marriage in 18th and 19c Scotland was to register your intent to marry with your home parish. A small fee was paid to have the banns or proclamation of marriage announced on one to three Sundays prior to the marriage. The purpose was to give the community a chance to comment on whether there was any reason the marriage should not go forward--a prior marriage, being too closely related, or other serious impediment. Marriage then took place most often in the bride's home--her mother's parlor. There was a prejudice against marrying in the church because a wedding tended to include a party, and there were fears of boisterous spirits contaminating the place of worship (as soon as I find my notes with the appropriate quote supporting this outrageous statement, I will put it up!). Most of the marriage records you will see prior to 1855 are really notices of proclamation. You will see that they registered on a given date, there may be references to the dates of proclamation and the fee paid, and then there may be reference to the date of the actual marriage--but that's rare. Assuming that it took place mid-week after the last Sunday's banns reading is usually a good guess, however. Any marriage that did not include a proclamation was considered an irregular marriage and was dealt with by the Kirk Session elders of the local parish. That could include eloping to a Justice of the Peace, or common law marriage. Elopement was a concern because of the not infrequent kidnapping of young heiresses. Most often it involved "ante-nuptial fornication"--literally, "pre-marital sex." It came up when a lady of the congregation confessed to being pregnant. She would be encouraged to point out the father. The couple might be questioned as to when and where and how frequently they were together--Sunday assignations were particularly heinous. The couple was then publically rebuked before the congregation and considered ostracized until such time as they could convince the elders they felt true remorse. Reconciliation and reinstatement usually followed--with a fine paid to Poor Relief.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Nov 2003 23:03

hi shona My g g g great grandmother was Janet Douglas, born in Scotland. She was also known as Jessie. regards Siobhan

Shona

Shona Report 14 Nov 2003 23:42

Thanks so much Margaret That was a cracker, I have copied and pasted so that I can read and reread that one. The marriage was in 1902 It states "In declaration and in presence of (female parents names) The plot thickens Regards Shona