Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help - census decoder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 14 Nov 2003 15:12

Thought I'd done everything right downloading this but try as I might its nowhere to be found on my computer - not on the desk top, programmes, documents, nowhere ! Four times I've done it - where did I go wrong. I'm still learning so please explain in 'idiots' language someone ! Mary Brooke

Janet

Janet Report 14 Nov 2003 15:51

I'm the worst for downloading, or anything the least bit technical, but if I lose something this is what I do: Go back to the download site, start to download again, and before you press the final button have a look at the "address" of where its saving the download, ie it will start C:/ That will tell you if its saving to Program Files, or Desktop, or what. Cancel the download, and look at where it was trying to save it this time. If you can't find where it said, click on Start, Windows Explorer, and do a search there. That lays out all the folders that you have hidden in your computer, and makes it much easier to find things. Hope this helps, from one technophobe to another. Jan.

Mary

Mary Report 14 Nov 2003 15:54

Cheers Jan - I'll give that a go ! Mary Oops Jan - think I went wrong somewhere - found it - twice! but I was told to put a disk # in - now is that a floppy or hard - I've not a clue. Hate to sound totally stupid but I think I'd better start again and take more notice of what I'm doing ! Mary

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 14 Nov 2003 17:45

Mary, I think you have downloaded the floppy disk installation. You need to download 1901 fullsetup.exe Bob

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 Nov 2003 18:11

I downloaded the census decoder and I use it a lot, by just typing in "census decoder "on my search engine I managed to find it.I have just tried typing it in again so that I can help Mary to tell her what one she wanted and nothing came up for "census decoder" can some kind person help her!! sorry Mary I was hoping to tell you which one you wanted. Sue............

Pauline

Pauline Report 14 Nov 2003 18:15

mary,i have just added it to my desktop,that way i only need to click on it when i want to use it. pauline x

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 14 Nov 2003 18:44

The web site is http://www(.)censusdecoder(.)com Bob

Mary

Mary Report 15 Nov 2003 10:17

Thanks all - I'll have another go when I've woken up a bit more !.................Mary

Flossie

Flossie Report 16 Nov 2003 20:01

Hi all. I have downloaded the decoder but honestly I cant see the reason for it, it doesnt seem to tell me anymore than if I didnt use it apart from some ID numbers. Am I thick and not using it properly. What is the point of it? Heeeeeelp. xx

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 16 Nov 2003 20:50

No your not thick Gillian! To show you what it does folow this, person search, enter surname, dixon, gender male, where born Kippax, entries on page, 30, search, then process search. repeat for females. you have 20 people on the list. Click group by page no. and there you have them grouped by families! the top one is mine! you have to narrow down the search in large towns. Bob

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 16 Nov 2003 21:03

What it does not show you is different names like my ggrandad living at the same address (illigitimate son) Bob

Flossie

Flossie Report 17 Nov 2003 05:03

Thanks for that I will give it a go later