Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Industrial school??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rus&

Rus& Report 13 Nov 2003 18:17

hi all, i am hoping someone could please please tell me what an industrial school was!I have just found out that a relative was sent to one of these in about 1908 but i dont have a clue what one is kazxx

Janice

Janice Report 13 Nov 2003 18:21

I think they were vocational training schools like the old technical colleges.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 13 Nov 2003 18:38

I think some of the industrial schools could have been borstal type establishments but also they were often orphanages where children were taught a skill or trade to give them some hope of employment in the future. Elisabeth

Emma

Emma Report 13 Nov 2003 19:18

I found this on EOLFHS site The Industrial School Act 1857 was to make better provision for the care and education of vagrant, destitute and disorderly children who, it was thought, were in danger of becoming criminals. It was the courts who decided what Industrial School the child was sent to, in many cases it was far away from the child's hometown - the Act also made provision for the children's religious persuasion. Usually once sentenced the child had to stay until they reached 16 years of age, however, the Government did allow suitable children, mainly boys, at the age of 14 to join the army or work in the mines. Emma.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 13 Nov 2003 19:19

I have now found a book, kindly given to me by another GC member, outlining the work of the Children's Society (eternally grateful to Beryl). Some of their early homes were industrial type schools. It was not necessary to have lost both parents to go to an orphanage. My father still had a mother but was placed in a Waifs and Strays home in 1908.

Emma

Emma Report 13 Nov 2003 19:22

You might be interested in this site www.missing-ancestors(.)com/ which is all about industrial schools.

Rus&

Rus& Report 13 Nov 2003 19:47

thanks everyone for your replies they have been a great help. kazxx