Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth record not found

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shona

Shona Report 13 Nov 2003 14:14

Hi I have a problem. I have found a Susan Lynch listed as a grand daughter on the 1881(Scotland) census at 140 Greendykes Rd, Broxburn West Lothian. She is listed as born in Uphall West Lothian I have searched Scotlands People for this birth between 1878-1881(she was aged 9 mths on the census) I can find no birth record Any ideas? Shona

Shona

Shona Report 13 Nov 2003 14:28

Thanks Leslie but the family lived in west Lothian in Scotland so it seems unlikelyand the trend seems to for susans in the family Thanks anyway Shona

Pamela

Pamela Report 13 Nov 2003 16:38

Pardon my geography, I have no idea where West Lothian is nor if it is near the coast, but is it possible your ancestor went to sea? South Shields is a sea-port with lots of contact with Scottish mariners via a brisk castal trade. Wives of captain and mate sometimes went to sea with their husbands so maybe she was caught short while on a voyage with him? Usually census entries so near the actual birth date stand some chance of being accurate, (but you cant take them as gospel at any time without back up evidence) Is it possible the grandparent made a mistake a mother would not have. Pam

Shona

Shona Report 13 Nov 2003 16:45

Hi Pamela. West Lothian is part of an area not too far from Edinburgh in Scotland Shona

Pamela

Pamela Report 13 Nov 2003 17:43

Well if it isnt too far from Leith there is the the option of a seafaring father, which would allow you the claim the child born in S Shields and explain why the grandparents were in charge of the child. (any sign of its mother in the house?)

Shona

Shona Report 13 Nov 2003 18:57

Hi Pamela Sorry I took so long - parents meeting There is a possibility of a mother in the house - aged 18 but why would the birth not be registered Shona

Pamela

Pamela Report 13 Nov 2003 23:25

Shona, By 1880 most people did register births (it was easier to get away with it earlier, although in Scotland registration only became compulsory after 1855). I am assuming that if you cant find the birth registered in Scottish records the South Shields birth Lesley found earlier may probably be the one you are looking for (A check of 1837 could potentially throw up more English candidates) You could do a parent search on IGI (just put their names in to the father and mother boxes dont fill in any other boxes click search and bingo all the children with parents of those names come up) to see if you can come up with any potential children for the grandparents which may give you a potential father to look for. Pam