Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boer War

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 12 Nov 2003 16:42

I have found a plaque with the name of one of my rellies on, Thomas Callear, served in the Boer War. Now I thought it might not be him because although in the right town and a not common name, being born in 1824 could make him to old. I now think that there were two Boer wars. Does anyone have the dates or an opinion about whether he could have served. Thank You Helena

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 12 Nov 2003 18:42

Hello Helena The first Boer War was 1880-1881 Anglo-Boer War was 11 Oct 1899 - 31 May 1902 Hope this helps Shirley

Ellen

Ellen Report 12 Nov 2003 18:58

Thank you both. It was very difficult to make out the date on the plaque as I was viewing it through glass doors (kept locked). Thank you for confirming that there were two episodes. Regards Helena