Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce and page/volumes etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 11 Nov 2003 20:07

2 seperate questions, when did divorce's start (dont think that is the correct terminology but you know what i mean). My grt grt grandparent were apart on cesus night 1901, I didnt read much into it but while browsing free bmd i came across someone with the same name as grt grt grandma marrying someone else. It could be someone completely different but the years fit, so it started me thinking. The year was 1886. 2nd question, the pages/volumes that you can get on free bmd, are they any use any wher else apart from ordering the certs. I want to look at loads of stuff and it would cost me a fortune to buy all the certs, is there a way of viewing them or am i being stupid? (dont answer that) think this is a great site, everyone is sooo helpful ( creep , creep!)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 11 Nov 2003 20:49

Hi, Divorce was possible at the time you mention but quite hard and very expensive. Marriages are also recorded in Parish records but you need to know in which church the marriage took place. There is a copy of the cert in the PRs. The only way to find out what is written on birth and death certs is to buy them, although sometimes the date of birth is recorded at the baptism. Genealogy isn't a cheap hobby!! Gwynne

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 11 Nov 2003 21:05

Have you tried the pages at the national archivist site there is an Index to divorces 1858 -1903 the address is www(.)nationalarchivist(.)com There is a charge Bren

Carol

Carol Report 12 Nov 2003 15:47

/