Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLS IN ENGLAND - WHAT'S ONLINE/WHERE ELSE IS BES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 9 Nov 2003 18:46

I need a new angle on my research and would like to try wills but need a few tips from you folk! Please tell me what you can find online or do remotely, because I cannot get to Records Offices etc. Thanks everyone, Hilary

Neil

Neil Report 9 Nov 2003 19:40

Hilary You can try www(.)documentsonline(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk If you get a hit on one of these, they are really useful, and can bring to life all sorts of family realtionships which you did not know about before!! I have had a lot of success with this site and the Scottish equivalent, which is www(.)scottishdocuments(.)com Happy hunting Neil

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 9 Nov 2003 19:48

Documents online is for pre 1858 wills. You will still need to use a RO or larger library to access the others. Ros

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Nov 2003 19:58

Hi, The PRO website only has PCC wills. Thousands of other wills were proven in other places prior to 1858. The only places I know of to find these is via indexes in libraries and record offices. Some wills indexed have also been filmed by the LDS. Most county record offices have filmed pre 1858 wills but you need the reference number before they will copy them for you. Some charge as little as 50p others charge £5 or more. Post 1858 wills can be obtained from the probate office in York. Each one costs £5. Deatils of these can be found in Wills indexes found in Record Offices and larger libraries. Gwynne