Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tea plantation in Ceylon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 9 Nov 2003 14:08

I am very new to my family history reseach, not much to go on. My G.Grandfather was A.M Cooper who owned a tea plantation in Ceylon around 1900's - 1920's they are all the details I have for for him except that he had 4 daugters one of them being my G.Aunt Joyce Cooper the Olympic swimmer in the 1920's -1930's. Can anyone suggest any sites or offer me any advice as this is really drawing me to a halt. Thanks David.

Alison

Alison Report 9 Nov 2003 14:44

Found this about her swimming career on Google but i guess you know this already. Cooper, M. Joyce (1996) Pioneer Swimmer, GBR 1928 OLYMPIC GAMES: bronze (100m freestyle, 100m backstroke), silver (4x100m freestyle relay); 1932 OLYMPIC GAMES: bronze (4x100m freestyle relay), competed in 100m backstroke; 1930 BRITISH EMPIRE GAMES: gold (100yd freestyle, 400yd freestyle, 100yd backstroke, 4x100m freestyle relay) 1927 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS: gold (4x100m freestyle relay), silver (100m freestyle); 1931 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS: silver (400m freestyle, 100m backstroke, 4x100m freestyle relay), bronze (100m freestyle); 19 A.S.A. Titles (100yd, 200yd, 440yd freestyle, 150yd backstroke). Do you know an approximate year of birth? You could look on 1837 site for a dob then trace her parents this way. Alison

David

David Report 9 Nov 2003 15:06

Hi Alison, many thanks for your help. Joyce was born 18 April 1909. Apart from her fathers initials I only have his nickname have asked my father for his name but his memory is failing him- bless due to ill health. Thanks again David

Alison

Alison Report 9 Nov 2003 15:18

Joyce Cooper's was born in Ceylon in seems but returned after WW1 so there would probably be no UK record of her birth. Did you know she was Margaret Joyce Cooper? However her married name was Badcock. She appears to have married a JFC Badcock. Her father's name should be on a marriage certificate. Try looking on FreeBMD. Alison

David

David Report 9 Nov 2003 16:22

Many thanks again, will go onto free bmd and have a look. Never knew she used her middle name although it doesn't seem that strange as so did her sister -my Grandmother do the same.

Chris

Chris Report 11 Nov 2003 03:46

Hi, My husband is descended from someone born in Ceylon. I found so much help and information on http://genforum.genealogy.com/srilanka. There were people so knowledgeable on this site. Good luck Christine

David

David Report 14 Nov 2003 22:58

Hi Christine, Thank you for advice on site. I'm off to have a look now! Never realised how hard it is trying to search for Ceylon, but not going to let it beat me though. Many thanks David.