Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing names of War dead.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MizzyH

MizzyH Report 8 Nov 2003 23:41

The "Poppies" thread made me realise that while I know that none of my adoptive family members died in either of the wars, I have no idea if any of my natural family members did. Now that I know rather more about them, is there any way of typing in a surname (or full name) in a search engine on a suitable site and seeing if anything comes up from either of the World Wars for that name?

Katie

Katie Report 8 Nov 2003 23:45

have you tried the Commonwealth war graves commission site? www.cwgc.org Hope this helps, -Kat

Anna

Anna Report 8 Nov 2003 23:47

hello Mary. http://www.cwgc(.)org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx just take out the brackets.You can search the debt of honour register for both world wars Anna

Paul

Paul Report 9 Nov 2003 00:05

Mary, With respect, I entered the surname you gave in your message into "cwgc" and came up with over 200 entries. So you may have some results on the name you enter. As an ex-serviceman my self (not old enough to have served in WW2 etc, and too old to have served in recent conflicts), this time of year is rather sensitive to me. Good luck in your searches. Paul

MizzyH

MizzyH Report 9 Nov 2003 08:54

Thank you, Katrina, Anna and Paul for your help with website addresses. Paul, thank you for looking up Orme for me. I'll take a look tonight after our visitors have gone. I can quite imagine it's a sensitive time for you - it's people like you we all have to thank. Even though I don't have war veterans in my family (as far as I know!!), I acknowledge the debt I have to the families who do. Happy hunting Mary Devon