Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificate Advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 8 Nov 2003 17:50

I have the marriage certificate of my g g grandmother. Unfortunately all it gives is the father names of the bride and groom But it has in the presence of, who's names are usually there, I think it is the brides parents. would this be the case. advice would be appreciated.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Nov 2003 17:54

It could be the bride`s parents, or indeed anyone could be a witness. Dont assume just because the names look right, it could well be a brother and a sister, or even someone with the same name and not related at all.

Susan (Sue)

Susan (Sue) Report 8 Nov 2003 17:56

I think this simply means witnesses so it could be anyone - best man, friends, family members or members of the public, etc.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Nov 2003 17:57

Hi, You only ever get the fathers' names on a marriage cert. The witnesses can be almost anybody - relatives, neighbours, friends, churchwardens etc. There was no rule. It could be the bride's parents but also her grandparents, a bother and sister in law etc. Sorry not to be more positive. Gwynne

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 8 Nov 2003 18:04

Gwyn if the marriage is in Scotland, then you get the mother and father of bride and groom on marriage cert. Dunno why england never followed suit.