Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mothers name missing - why ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 8 Nov 2003 15:35

I have run through family search IGI and found two possible rellies but fathers name is just given as surname and space for wife/mother is blank. No mention of the children on the 1881 census either ? It is possible they died very young I know but I'm still bewildered by the lack of information about parents. Anyone know the answer ? Mary Brooke

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Nov 2003 15:59

have you checked that the year and area you are searching is fully transcribed ??

Anne

Anne Report 8 Nov 2003 16:06

We should use the IGI as a very valuable guide but always check back to originals. Sometimes the parish registers in question were not allowed to be transcribed or are illegible. I have found that if the note at the bottom says "extracted from local records" it is pretty reliable. But if it says "submitted by a member" then it is probably someone elses attempt at a guess - may be right or may not. Anne

Mary

Mary Report 8 Nov 2003 19:28

The years I am looking at are 1882 and 1884 on the IGI. Harriett Barnett was christened at Hargrave Northants 1882 and Mary Barnett 1884. I could find no other info about them - no census records. I was hoping their father would be James Barnett then they would link in with my family . Oh well, must keep trying..................... Mary Brooke

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 8 Nov 2003 19:59

If you go to FamilySearch and look at UK 1881 Census for Hargrave there is a family of Barnetts. Father is James, born Keysoe, mother Emma, born Hargrave and their EIGHT!! children, aged 13 down to Mabel aged 10 months. There is a Harriet and a Mary too. Not all children were baptised at birth, and as mentioned the IGI is definitely NOT gospel!! Hope this helps. Maz. XX

Martin

Martin Report 9 Nov 2003 10:20

It is often better searching the IGI by Batch Number, using this site is the easiest way. http : // freepages . genealogy . rootsweb . com / ~hughwallis / IGIBatchNumbers . htm # Page This can work particularly well for a small village as often a whole family will be shown. More often than not IGI searches produce too many results and their system makes it difficult to restrict because it is very fussy about which fields you fill in on the search page. As noted by others, I ignore all the members submissions as most are very optimistic. Martin

Mary

Mary Report 9 Nov 2003 12:05

The Barnetts mentioned on the 1881 census at Hargrave are my great great grandparents - the problem with the Mary and Harriett I found on the IGI is that fathers name is just put as Barnett and no mothers name at all so I don't know whether they're rellies or not. Mary Brooke

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 9 Nov 2003 12:50

Just so you know, there were no other Barnetts in Hargrave on 1881, which narrows the odds on them being yours. The only other way would be to go to LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre near you and order film of parish records and check from there. Maz. XX

Mary

Mary Report 9 Nov 2003 13:11

Cheers Marion - two more to add to my ever growing list ! Still don't understand why mothers name would be missing ? Any ideas on that ? Mary Brooke

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 9 Nov 2003 13:43

I think it may just be the way it is copied/submitted to the LDS. If you visit your nearest Family History Centre I expect they could tell you more. Maz. XX

Mary

Mary Report 9 Nov 2003 18:34

Thanks for your help - I've 'pencilled' the new rellies in for now. Found a lot of others as well by going through the batch nos. Will I ever be finished ??????????? Mary

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 9 Nov 2003 20:17

No!!