Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing from 1891

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 6 Nov 2003 18:51

Has anyone else found that their rellies are missing from the 1891? I have one Thomas Antwiss born in 1870,,,,married in 1893 but is nowhere to be found on the census, Is it me being dilly or is there quite a lot missed off ?

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 6 Nov 2003 18:52

No, one of mine has gone walkabouts too. It's quite possible, though, that he was in the Navy and off somewhere at sea.

Andy

Andy Report 6 Nov 2003 20:05

I was just doing a look-up for someone, and whilst the name is there in the index, the census page is missing. This has happened to me on a few occasions so clearly there are quite a few pages that are missing. What I'm less certain of is whether the index is complete, if it isn't then this may explain why you cannot find your ancestor(s). Of course, the possibility always remains that they just weren't in on census night. A.

Andy

Andy Report 6 Nov 2003 20:14

Claire, I found him, he's listed in the index as Thomas Autwiss! Robert ANTWISS, Head, M, 48, Platelayer, Yorks Osmotherley Elizabeth ANTWISS, Wife, M, 49, Northumberland Monkseaton Thomas ANTWISS, Son, S, 22, Platelayer, Northumberland Rothbury Mary J.ANTWISS, Daughter, 16, Domestic Servant, Northumberland North Shields John ANTWISS, Son, 11, Scholar, Northumberland North Shields Sidney J.WATSON, Visitor, 3, Northumberland North Shields Address: 33 Coble Head (?), Percy Main, Chirton, Tynemouth RG12/4225 Folio: 88 Page: 46

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Nov 2003 20:15

Or could be mis-transcribed on the index. Try a first name search using the most uncommon Christian name, with birth details. Maz. XX

Michelle

Michelle Report 6 Nov 2003 20:17

Have you tried a soundex search or just using T instead of Thomas. I have found elusive relative using this. Michelle

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 7 Nov 2003 05:23

Thanks everyone,,,especialy Andy for finding him, Can anyone tellme what Soundex is? Iv seen it there on the search page but dont know how to use it,

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 7 Nov 2003 08:28

Quote "The Soundex system is the means established by the National Archives to index the U.S. censuses (beginning with 1880). It codes together surnames of the same and similar sounds but of variant spellings." Bob

Janice

Janice Report 7 Nov 2003 08:29

As well as exactly what you enter, it gives spelling variations or things that might sound the same when spoken (with weird accents, some of them!!)