Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any census info please Limehouse?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 18:24

Robert Spilsbury Self married Mary Ann had Robert George Spilsbury Self b1854 Limehouse and Annie b1864 Limehouse. Robert Senior was a Mariner when daughter Annie married in 1883. Can not find any trace of this family. Under Self or Spilsbury Self. Have tried bdm and LDS - no luck. Any info greatly appreciated or pointers where to look next Thanks Chris

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Nov 2003 18:57

Hi Christine Just been looking on 1881 for you. I have found an entry for a Robert G Self - could it be that the son had already left home and got his own family and this is them:- Robert G Self, 25, Confectioner Grace (wife) 22 Robert (son) 2 Grace (daughter) 1 I entered Robert Self Spilsbury in the 1881 British Census records to get this info. In "all resources" searches, there are loads of them come up. NB There are several entries for this Robert G Self - One with a year of 1856 and one 1879 or some such - but it's the same family and same address - 7 Carr Street, London, Middlesex, England. Also - The whole family were born in Limehouse. Check it out and see if you can make it fit. Hope so. Good luck.

Emma

Emma Report 6 Nov 2003 18:58

Hi Christine, Think this is Robert junior on 1891 census: Robert G S Self, head, mar, 35, sweetstuff shopkeeper, Limehouse Grace L Self, wife, mar, 33, Limehouse Robert G S Self, son, 13, Limehouse Grace L Self, daur, 11, Limehouse Jessie E Self, daur, 7, Limehouse William J Self, son, 6, Limehouse George Self, son, 4, Limehouse Florence Self, daur, 3months, Limehouse Elizabeth Derrick, lodger, sing, 27, dressmaker, Monmouthshire Cwma?? 40 Eastfield Street RG12/294, folio 28, ED2, page 7 Limehouse, Stepney

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Nov 2003 19:05

Lucy If this is the right one, I guess Christine will be pleased huh? LOL I wonder where the parents are though?

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 19:10

Thanks very much to both of you. I never thought to put spilsbury first. I think indeed that this is the right family but Robert Senior still remains elusive. Although now perhaps I can get more info for him. Thanks again Chris Just about to check the 'all resouces'

Emma

Emma Report 6 Nov 2003 19:10

Andrea, If he were a mariner chances are he could be anywhere in the country! - well .. those bits with sea!

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 19:11

As daft as it sounds I never thought of that

Anna

Anna Report 6 Nov 2003 19:18

Theres a marriage of a Robert Spilsbury Self on the IGI in Gloucester but it doesnt give the spouses name,and it took place in 1858 which would be after the son was born?This Robert was born in 1835 There are no other details unfortunately Anna

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 19:24

Thanks Anna Just checked census for Gloucester - not one in Gloucester. But the right times!! Thanks Chris

Anna

Anna Report 6 Nov 2003 19:36

Just to confuse things,I found 3 Selfs all born in Limehouse,visiting a BUSH family in Eastfield Street London.The names are Ann Self (widow) aged 53,William J Self aged 19,and Ann Self aged 17.The age of Ann matches your annie.The head of the house they were visiting was an Anchor Smith then in brackets(M...)mariner maybe? Dont know if these are your Selfs or relatives of them Anna

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 19:57

Anna Thats sounds interesting, I wonder if Mary Ann could have 'done what our rellies do' and start using her middle name. It certainly is a possibility Chris

Anna

Anna Report 6 Nov 2003 20:00

Yeah My rellies seemed to do that a lot lol,the thing is most of them were called either William Henry George or Matthew and they all called their kids after their brothers so it was very confusing!! Anna

Crista

Crista Report 6 Nov 2003 21:44

Christine, From FreeBMD: Marriages Jun 1877 Capps Grace Letitia St. Geo. East 1c 767 Self Robert George S St George in the East 1c 767 and then in 1900 Robert jr's son's marriage to one of these ladies. Marriages Dec 1900 Pinchback Emma Stepney 1c 650 Self Robert George S Stepney 1c 650 Smith Sarah Amelia Stepney 1c 650 Crista

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 6 Nov 2003 21:51

Crista Well done, I'm getting more info then I could ever have expected. Thanks Chris

Crista

Crista Report 6 Nov 2003 22:16

Chris, Here's some more from the 1881: Hester F.A. SELF Head W Female 80 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Mary Ann SELF Daur In Law W Female 40 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Annie H. SELF Gr Daur U Female 16 Poplar, Middlesex, England Pupil Teacher Lottie A. SELF Gr Daur U Female 14 Poplar, Middlesex, England Source Information: Dwelling 4 Bath Street Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341113 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0508 / 163 Page Number 35 Might not be your family as it would make Mary Ann rather young when she had Robert. Still, she could always be lying. Crista