Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free Family Tree Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathy

Cathy Report 6 Nov 2003 15:47

Can anyone recommend any free software that I could download from the internet? Had one once but can't remember where I got it from. I've recently had a computer nightmare and lost everything. Still got some hard copies & want to start again. My tip to other GC members - back everything up before it's too late. Cathy.

June

June Report 6 Nov 2003 15:52

I use PAF, free from the Latter Saints Site (LDS) its certainly very good. June,Nr.Preston.Lancs

Anne

Anne Report 6 Nov 2003 15:53

You can't go wrong with PAF from the LDS site. It's very good. Anne

Christine

Christine Report 6 Nov 2003 17:31

I would definately recommend PAF from LDS it has everything you could need. Chris

Sidami

Sidami Report 6 Nov 2003 17:58

I use PAF and find it really good. I have backed mine up on to a disc but the question is when I went to put the disc in to see if it had worked a window came up and said"The file must reside on a writeable device in order to perform this function , I wanted to add some more information on it but I couldn't could some kind person please advise me what to do, I don't want to loose all the information I have. Sue...........

Sue

Sue Report 6 Nov 2003 18:00

I use Legacy 4.0 - free download from legacy(.)com and am very happy with it Sue

Melba64

Melba64 Report 6 Nov 2003 21:21

Sue Hare. I use PAF and have a back up on disc. Every so often when I have added info onto my hard drive copy I get a pop up telling me the file hasn't been backed up recently and do I want to back it up now. Click yes and it gives you the option of where. Put your disc into the disc drive, highlight the file name and click to back it up. It should say the file already exists and do you want to replace it. Click Yes and it should then back up your new information. Hope this is clear. Mel

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2003 21:49

Sue Hare, If you backed it up on a floppy, make sure the tab is in the write position. Its a little slide thingy at the top short edge, it needs to be in a position so that there isnt a gap. If it is on harddrive, make sure you havent got it on read only. If you need to change it, let me know and I will tell you how to do it.

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2003 21:52

I use Cumberland Family Tree, and have done for years. I have tried others, but always go back to it. There is a version on the cd which was on a magazine a while back, or is downloadable from the net. www(.)cf-software(.)com Let me know which version

Cathy

Cathy Report 7 Nov 2003 11:33

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have downloaded PAF 5 this morning. Cathy.