Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Earliest census available for Sussex?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 3 Nov 2003 23:47

My great great grandfather William Phipps was born in Warbleton Sussex in 1847, I have his marriage cert which lists his father as James Phipps. I have had little success on BMD or LDS findind a record of his birth or census return. What is the earliest date he might appear on a census assuming he was born in Sussex around 1800-1847 ? Any help appreciated..........Pam

Margaret

Margaret Report 3 Nov 2003 23:51

Pam 1841 is the earliest census that is any use to genealogists. The earlier ones were only head counts, not named. 1841 doesn't have as much info as the later one's. It will give ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years and place of birth is in this county, yes or no. If no it usually says what county but not always whereabouts. Margaret

Deborah

Deborah Report 4 Nov 2003 09:15

Hi Pamela, 1851 would be the one you need. If he was born between 1840-47 he will still be young enough to be at home in 1851. Debbie