Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Terry/Graceton Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 3 Nov 2003 12:33

I am having problems locating a marriage for my great, great grandparents Edward Terry (born in Maidstone around 1854) and Sarah Ann Graceton (born in Greenwich around 1855). Their son (my great grandfather - also called Edward) was born in Poplar, East London in 1879 and a daughter, Louisa (located using the 1901 census) was also born in Poplar in 1885. Sarah was dead by 1901. I have the birth certificates for both children and Sarah's maiden name is spelt the same on each (and the same registrar in both cases) but I can't find any Terry/Graceton marriages on Free BMD or by looking through the registers at FRO manually. I also can't find a birth for a Sarah Ann Graceton! I suspect that her surname may have been misspelt on the certs (neither parents appear to have been able to read or write) but I still can't find anything under Grayson etc...There is a story in the family about some sort of Irish connection which might relate to Sarah if this might help? Any assistance appreciated!

Crista

Crista Report 3 Nov 2003 19:14

Helen, Is this them on the 1881 census because there's no sign of Edward Jr? Edward TERRY Head M Male 29 Maidstone, Kent, England Labourer (General) Sarah TERRY Wife M Female 26 Greenwich, Kent, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 55 Tetley Street Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341111 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0501 / 142 Page Number 15 Crista

Helen

Helen Report 6 Nov 2003 10:01

Yes, that is another mystery. I can't find any record of him living with any other family member at the time so perhaps he was just forgotten??? He was certainly around at the time as I have the birth cert! Maybe, for some reason, he was in hospital or similar? This side of my family are proving very elusive!