Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find John Cox on 1891 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Nov 2003 20:46

Can anyone give me advise on how to go about finding a rellie on the 1891 cnesus the details that i have are John Cox born Devonshire county unknown born about 1870 living at Erith in Kent in 1898 when married father Francis Cox (i have these details from the 1901 census) moved to Portsmouth in 1904. Any ideas please!! Eileen in Portsmouth

Gary

Gary Report 2 Nov 2003 20:54

Eileen Bit of trouble understanding your message due to no punctuation (no criticism intended). Devonshire is a county, it is the place that is missing. Are you saying his father is called Francis and that he was married in 1901 or that he married a Frances? I would search for John as Cox or its variant spellings -Cocks, with the birthplace of Devon (county). Gary

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Nov 2003 21:01

Sorry Gary, have just come home from holiday, very tired, you are right, i have just reread my message and it doesn't make sense to me!!! Eileen John Cox father was Francis Cox. John born in County of Devonshire district not known. Married in Kent 1898. Born about 1870.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Nov 2003 22:01

There were no 20yr old John Cox born Devon on the 1891, and only 2 21yr olds: Cox, Arthur John View Image Online Relationship: Son County: Devon Age: 21 Civil Parish: Little Hempston Gender: Male ED: 5 Where Born: Devon, Staverton Eccl. Parish: Little Hempston Piece: RG12/1711 Town: Little Hempston Folio: 43 Page: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cox, John View Image Online Relationship: Lodger County: Devon Age: 21 Civil Parish: Bridford Gender: Male ED: 1c Where Born: Devon, Christow Eccl. Parish: Bridford Piece: RG12/1685 Town: Alphington Folio: 10 Page: 14 The son was living with father James, so perhaps the Lodger is yours? Jan

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Nov 2003 22:04

Hi Ruth, No i havn't got confirmed details, as there appear to be two families, both have a John with a father called Francis. One family are living in Wales, whilst the other family are living in Devon, both sets of parents where born in Cornwall. But perhaps im looking at it wrong? I would be very grateful for any input, as this is a main line and im completely stuck!!! Eileen in Portsmouth

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Nov 2003 22:06

Thank you Jan, I will follow this lead up. Eileen in Portsmouth

Crista

Crista Report 3 Nov 2003 05:15

Eileen, If you get the marriage cert. you will know Francis' occupation. That might narrow things down a bit. I don't think it's the family living in Swansea in the 1881 census as I can still see John and Thomas there in 1901. Crista