Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shane

Shane Report 30 Oct 2003 12:57

Just wondered if you could do a 1891 census lookup for me ? Im looking for a Walter Foster married to Louisa , Walter born in Hull Yorks and Louisa born Grebby Lincs. Thanks Shane

Andy

Andy Report 30 Oct 2003 13:47

Is this them? Frederick W. FOSTER, Head, M, 25, Greengrocer/Fruiterer, Hull Louisa FOSTER, Wife, M, 27, Assistant, Elsham Lincolnshire Clement FOSTER, Son, 5, Scholar, Hull Muriel FOSTER, Daughter, 3, Hull Wilbert FOSTER, Son, 2, Hull Address: 14 Cave Street, Sculcoates, Hull If it isn't them, then I suggest listing what you've found on either the 1881 census or the 1901 census then that gives people a chance at finding the correct family on this census. A.

Andy

Andy Report 30 Oct 2003 13:47

Sorry Ruth, wasn't trying to steal your thunder...

Shane

Shane Report 30 Oct 2003 14:20

Walter should be 34 and Louisa either 34 or 37 (conflicting ages on other census). Living in Hull

Shane

Shane Report 30 Oct 2003 15:30

On the 1881 census their children are Arthur J aged 2 and Ellenor aged 3.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Oct 2003 16:00

Shane, It looks as if Andy could have found your family. Bear in mind that a lot of children died young so the three on the 1881 may have died before 1891. Good luck, Jim

Andy

Andy Report 30 Oct 2003 16:20

I had another go, just this second (looked-up Arthur also) and got the same result!

Shane

Shane Report 30 Oct 2003 17:01

Thanks to everyone who has took the time out to help , its looks like you have come up trumps !!

Stan

Stan Report 30 Oct 2003 20:48

Hi, Shane I was puzzled by the birthplace of Louisa, as I didn't recognise Sconeby as a place. After much perusal of the image, and searching my Ordnance Survey Atlas of Britain, I came up with Scremby as a possibility. This is a small village some 8 miles west of Skegness, on the road to Horncastle and Lincoln. Lo and behold, when I looked it up on a larger scale map, what should I find half a mile to the North West but Grebby! I have to confess I didn't believe such a place existed. It seems to consist of a Hall and a disused windmill nearby. So you may even be able to find exactly where Louisa was born. If you are interested, National Grid Reference is SK 437688. Best of luck in your search. Stan

Shane

Shane Report 31 Oct 2003 13:15

Thanks Stan , you dont happen to have a Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street in your tree do you ?? That info has been a great help. Ive just done a search on the surname East in Grebby and found 4 other people . They must be related somehow with it being such a small village/hamlet. Best Regards Shane