Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Understanding Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 29 Oct 2003 18:56

Have just received a death certificate which looks like the right person but informant has thrown me. Dont know who it is? Death certificate of William Atkins who was a policeman. Thats Correct. He died of "pneumonia 9 days - certified" Does that mean he died in hospital or what? His wife was still alive and would have just had their last child Dec Qtr 1885, William died Mar 1886. The informant was "present at death" Dont recognise the name at all. Has anybody got any ideas please. Regards Julie

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Oct 2003 19:17

It could have been anyone from a Nurse to an as yet unidentified cousin, or even a brother Officer. The important thing is that you have the certificate. Good luck Jim

Penny

Penny Report 29 Oct 2003 19:20

Maybe the wife was so upset a close friend or family member had to register it for her.Devasting news at the best of time but especially with a new baby. Penny

Julie

Julie Report 29 Oct 2003 19:51

Thanks all for your replies. I agree with what you are saying. I cant place the informant (who is a female) at the moment as a family member. Just wanted to clarify that someone else could register the birth other than the wife who would be the next of kin. Also whether "certified" meant anything in particular which might shed some light. The fact that his occupation as County Policeman and place of death is correct is all I have to assume this the right person. Thanks Julie

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Oct 2003 21:29

Hi Julie Have you mis-typed? and William died in 1886? The person who was present at death - have you tried to locate this person on the 1881 Census?? I had a similar situation and tried 1881 Census. The 'unknown' person was the next-door neighbour, Hazel

Julie

Julie Report 29 Oct 2003 21:53

Hi Hazel No. The only reason I know he died early was coz his wife was widdowed on 1881 and is still alive upto 1901 census. So I know he died before 1881 and when I found this death the area was correct and the death certificate confirms he was a policeman. How many William Atkins in Kilsby that were policeman could it be or am I on the wrong track?????? Thats what Im trying to determine. Have applied to see if there are police records. Maybe that will help............ Thanks Julie

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 29 Oct 2003 22:06

I think Hazel meant that you put last child born 1885 - William died 1866!! Maz. XX (Don't worry, I'm the same - brain and fingers don't work at same speed!!.)

Julie

Julie Report 29 Oct 2003 22:12

Oops sorry. William is the one that died.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Oct 2003 22:13

Thanks Maz!! I have been pouring over Julie's original query, trying to work it all out. It never occured to me that the baby's birth date could be wrong. Hazel

Julie

Julie Report 29 Oct 2003 22:53

Hazel, So sorry. Just twigged what you meant having reread my message. You are quite right and Im hopeless. Thanks for trying to understand what Im asking for. Regards Julie

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Oct 2003 23:09

Julie, It seems to me you have enough strong evidence to prove that this death certificate is the right one. Name, Date, Place, Occupation, Age. Although in actual fact for a long time I didn't bother looking for death details at all unless there was a doubt about some ancestor's lineage. Somehow I never felt that the death was as significant a factor as the birth and marriage. After all, surely they must all be dead by now. But now I am learning that every detail of an ancestor's life that we can leave for our posterity is valuable. Thanks for making me realise that, good luck, Jim

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 30 Oct 2003 09:53

Jim. I like 'surely they must all be dead by now?'!! I agree, but the records don't .... Actually, you can find some interesting bits with death certs, but it can be a real trial to find them!! Maz. XX

Andy

Andy Report 30 Oct 2003 10:12

Death certs are certainly lagging behind in my collection of certificates when compared with births and marriages, but the informant's name can provide that missing link or give you a brand new name altogether. I was so glad when I ordered the death cert for my great uncle as that gave me the name of a son, who up until then I didn't know existed.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Oct 2003 10:48

Hi Julie Glad we are sorted out! Other readers: I have made a list of 'causes of death' from my collection of Death Certs, according to which part of the 'Family' as a whole they belonged. It made interesting reading and, in some cases, a pattern began to emerge and certain traits become apparent. It has made me reaccess my lifestyle in general and diet especially, went for a health check yesterday and find Diabetes hiding away. Hazel

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 30 Oct 2003 11:02

Yes Hazel, know the feeling. My dad died in 1999 as a result of inactivity due to arthritis leading to blood clot, sepsis etc. Soon after we found his grandmother died of exactly the same thing SAME LEG even. Needless to say, my sister and I now make sure we take regular exercise and supplements aimed at healthy joints. If lightning can strike twice, I'm sure 3 or more times is not impossible. Forewarned is forearmed and all that!!. Maz XX

Barbara

Barbara Report 30 Oct 2003 12:59

We found my mothers half sister through her mothers death certificate as she was the informant and had not moved house in the intervening years. Also in other research, my grandfather was present at his fathers death and again the address recorded for him led us further on in our searches But if you start buying them for everyone you might have to consider robbing a bank to pay for them all lol