Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trouble Accessing Web Pages?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 26 Oct 2003 01:06

In windows 98, you need to click the `apply` button and not just OK. Thanks for the tip

Judy

Judy Report 26 Oct 2003 01:43

If you're having trouble accessing web pages, try this: On your computer go to START, find and click on CONTROL PANEL. Find and click on INTERNET OPTIONS. A box will appear and at the top of the box are tabs....the last one being labeled ADVANCED....click on the ADVANCED tab. Scroll down to the subheading SECURITY. Under SECURITY make sure that there are check marks next to USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. Then click on OK at the bottom of the box. For some reason, USE TLS 1.0 is usually not checked off and it should be. Not having it checked off will often give you a message, when trying to access a web site or one of it's links, that there is an error, or web site can't be found. You'll now be able to access pages you weren't able to before....unless of course the web site is actually no longer there. (If you have trouble accessing you CONTROL PANEL feel free to contact me at [email protected] and I can walk you through it. I am working in Windows XP which is set up slightly differently than other versions of Windows.) Hope this helps! Judy