Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search areas to find names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 25 Oct 2003 12:38

Was trying to find a place & looked on Ask Jeeves search engine. I have tried before putting in a family name without much success. However when I put in the Town & County it gave me bits of census & family trees which was really useful. If you haven't tried this before - hope you will find this as helpful as I did. http://www.ask.co.uk Regards. Pat (Bristol South Glos) No use to anyone?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 28 Oct 2003 05:56

It's rather quiet now on the message board -- I guess England is asleep :~) -- so was looking through past messages. Thought I would nudge this up, in case inexperienced internet people like me didn't see this when we were having all those problems logging in to GC. Recently someone on GC recommended I try a "Google" search. I entered my family name and their town and found quite a bit of information!

Penny

Penny Report 28 Oct 2003 07:25

Hi Lisa and Pat, I always use 'AltaVista' search engine I find it gives even better results than google. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Penny

Andrea

Andrea Report 28 Oct 2003 11:47

I agree that these searches are a mine of information. I am a bit useless when it comes to the internet and so whenever I want anything, I just type it in my search engine and see what pops up. I think I may have been the one that suggested the Google search!! Ask Jeeves and Google are my favourites. It has now got to the point where Jeeves says "what now!?" LOL. Poor man must be exhausted after running round for me like he does!! Well worth a try if you have no other options or ideas.

Deborah

Deborah Report 28 Oct 2003 11:51

Hi Pat, I always use Y a h o o (won't let me use that word without spaces!) I get lots of results from that. Debbie