Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irelands 1901 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 25 Oct 2003 12:36

Do they have a web page? I am wanting to look for a family that come from Ireland and settled here later, but I do not have a place name in Ireland, and are there any other ways to track down a family? thanks Valerie

Paul

Paul Report 25 Oct 2003 13:26

Valerie, The 1901 Census for Ireland unfortunately does not have a web page. The various Central Libraries, in the North, sometimes have the census for the surrounding or county areas, and PRONI holds a copy. There is a site which covers all of the counties in Ireland, and they sometimes carry references to the 1901, and the 1911, census. 1911 is available in the South of Ireland, not here in the North. www.proni.nics.gov.uk should get you in to PRONI's site where it will tell you about the census returns they hold. They have also put the Ulster Covenant, and some of the Freeholders lists on line. What was the name of the family you are looking for, and when did they leave Ireland? Paul

Paul

Paul Report 25 Oct 2003 13:30

Valerie, The 1901 Census for Ireland unfortunately does not have a web page. The various Central Libraries, in the North, sometimes have the census for the surrounding or county areas, and PRONI holds a copy. There is a site which covers all of the counties in Ireland, and they sometimes carry references to the 1901, and the 1911, census. 1911 is available in the South of Ireland, not here in the North. www.proni.nics.gov.uk should get you in to PRONI's site where it will tell you about the census returns they hold. They have also put the Ulster Covenant, and some of the Freeholders lists on line. What was the name of the family you are looking for, and when did they leave Ireland? Paul

Valerie

Valerie Report 25 Oct 2003 16:44

Hi Paul. First did you get my e-mail about Kenneth Gobie? Thanks for the information this I can see is going to be fun. The family I am trying to find is Frederick Robinson (Coachman domestic) his wife Elizabeth Robinson and daughter Lilian Robinson born 1898/99. I have been looking for them in the UK including the 1901 census, but was told from a cousion I have just found that Lilian returned to Ireland in 1923, so I think must have been born there, but I do not know how old she was when the family left, only that she married my grandfather in 1919 in Kent. Thats why I am hoping the family will be on Irelands 1901 census Valerie

Valerie

Valerie Report 25 Oct 2003 19:41

Paul. Are you out there? Valerie

Paul

Paul Report 25 Oct 2003 20:55

don't know what the problem is, but access has been extremely slow to the point of non-existence at times, right from first thing this morning. I finally got back in to GC only a short time ago, and I have seen your reply. I will see what I can find for you. Paul.

Paul

Paul Report 25 Oct 2003 20:57

Sorry, yes I did get the message about Ken. Haven't contacted him yet, but I will. Don't suppose he has e-mail? Paul

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Oct 2003 02:42

Hi Paul. Sorry, Kenneth is not an internet buff even his phone wont take calls if the number is not recognized, and thanks for looking at the 1901 problem for me, I am keeping my fingers crossed you come across something. Are you in Ireland or from Ireland? Valerie

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 26 Oct 2003 03:00

Valerie As you do not have a place name you could start here, w w w(.)leitrim-roscommon(.)com. This has part of the 1901 census, at present it covers Counties, Sligo, Wexford, Roscommon, Leitrim, Westmeath, Mayo and Galway. not all of these are complete in all areas. Other counties are under construction and will be available later. Kathleen

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Oct 2003 03:04

Hi Kathleen. Thank you, that is realy a good site. A few more late nights comeing up. Valerie

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 26 Oct 2003 09:35

I've just read this thread and am thrilled to find details for Roscommon, which is where some of my husband's family were from. Another bunch were from Galway - anything on line for that area?

Paul

Paul Report 26 Oct 2003 09:36

I live in Limavady, about 17 miles from Londonderry. Born in Liverpool, but my parents were not originally from there. I have found my father, grandfather, and g-grandfather in Shropshire. I start on my mother's side when I get chance. Paul

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 27 Oct 2003 02:57

Helen see the web site for Leitrim-Roscommon above. That covers part of Galway. Kathleen

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Oct 2003 08:58

Thanks, Kathleen, will do.

Michelle

Michelle Report 27 Oct 2003 09:46

Valerie I don't know if you have already seen this site www(.)censusfinder(.)com/ireland(.)htm. It lists what records are avaliable online. I also have Irish relatives, my problem is, all I know is literally Ireland, although my mam has said possible Mayo or Cork! But then again..... Michelle

Valerie

Valerie Report 27 Oct 2003 19:34

Hi Michelle That is another site for me to look at, I think my winter evenings are going to pass very quickly. My problem too is all I have is Ireland, and the same with Lilian going back in 1923 it is just Ireland. Also I don't know if she went back to her maiden name or kept her married name. But I will persist and solve this. Thanks Valerie

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Oct 2003 19:52

Hi Valerie, just looked at the Roscommon-Leitrim site and instantly found my husband's rellies. Looked for yours but they are not there - so definitely not thase two counties and the parishes listed in the others. Perhaps you can find them by a process of elimination!! Good luck. The site is brilliant for other info, too.

Valerie

Valerie Report 27 Oct 2003 20:16

Well done Helen. It is great when you find what your looking for, and you will probable come across lots of cousions you did not know you had. Good luck Valerie

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Oct 2003 20:19

Valerie, you're right, My husband's father was one of 18 children that we know about....