Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Incorrect family reasearch on lds site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 24 Oct 2003 22:42

How do you get intouch with people who offer up their research to the LDS site? I have found two instances of my own family that are incorrect and its driving me potty! The lady for instance has said that my rellies were born in Grange Oversands when actually it was just plain Grange which is now part of West Kirby. Slightly different!! Also she has said another chap was born in Bebington but the census returns would beg to differ - and me too! Is it just there forever in incorrectness?

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 24 Oct 2003 22:50

Unfortunately most of the entries from members of the LDS are made by American Women, and getting them to change, correct or ammend the entries is nigh on impossible (read some of the family history magazines that touch on the subject) i have found quite a few on my own tree that assume marriages in a certain parish, but which turn up in a neighbouring one, and also entries with incorrect spellings. The only chance of getting things changed is if a living person is listed without permission, most just don't want to know, they have made their tree and that's it. Apologies to those who have submitted verified trees. Ros

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Oct 2003 22:53

All this adds to the fact of take the IGI with a pinch of salt and check everything you find against the parish registers. Margaret

S

S Report 24 Oct 2003 23:35

You need to be very careful with some of the info on the lds...it's the Ancestral Files and Pedigree Resource files which are the worst offenders....it all depends how conscientious and careful the original researcher has been. I have a distant cousin who has submitted a tree. She insists one of her rellies is the same as mine even though I have pictures of both of them and they have totally different descendant charts. They had the same first name, but were born a year apart. Having said that, it's an invaluable site for the 1881 census (and I wish people would take a look before asking for 1881 look-ups) and I've never found more errors in the actual IGI (taken from parish records directly) than I have with sites such as FreeBMD or the 1901 online census. But as with all indices and transcriptions...check out the original if you can! PS. I'm down in OneGreatFamily as having been born in Bromborough....I wasn't....I was born in Birkenhead....slight difference as anybody from the Wirral would know!!

Barbara

Barbara Report 24 Oct 2003 23:40

Yes frustrating - Thanks! I had only just started on that particular branch and thought I had hit gold, but it just made matters worse! Almost like the person guessed at the names! Annoying thing is that she is from this country! Serve me right for trying to cut corners lol

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 25 Oct 2003 00:14

Hi Barbara LDS site I have contacted people on this site but first I have looked up in the American equivalent of yellow pages to see if they still live at the same address I have also contacted people whose names have appeared on the pages I have been searching and they have replied that they don't know why I have got in touch with them because they have no connection with my family surnames . Another example of wrong entries on the L.D.S My Gt Grandmothers maiden name is entered wrongly on some baptisms records so I e-mailed LDS told them the correct one but it has never been changed There is an American man who insists that my 4x Gt. Grandparents are his and that 3xGt Grandfather died in America I sent him the copies of parish records which showed he was born married and died in Guernsey but he still doesnt beleive me because of what one of his aunts wrote in her notes and information taken off L.D.S Bren