Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deciphering olde worlde writing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Oct 2003 13:04

i've just recieved a copy of my ancestors will and can hardly read a word. apart from it being a copy of the microfilm it is in old fashioned writing!! does anyone know of a site where i can translate the writing(if there is one).all the capital letters look the same susie

Janet

Janet Report 24 Oct 2003 13:45

Susan Try this site www(.)amberskyline(.)com/treasuremaps/oldhand(.)html Hope it helps Janet

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Oct 2003 14:24

thanks janet i will give it a try susie

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 24 Oct 2003 21:00

I found the best way was to try and write it all down literally one word at a time, without thinking about the sense of it. Took me about a week to do it a bit at a time. The more you look, the more you will recognise the same words repeated, and be able to compare letters. Ended up with nearly all words read. Then I typed it up and looked up some of the weird words. Finally it made a sort of sense!! Patience is the main thing!! Also ask everyone you know if they are any good at reading handwriting. I think you generally have an eye for it or don't. If you can't manage or find any help, then e-mail me direct and we will work out a way that I can try it for you. Good luck!! Maz. XX

S

S Report 24 Oct 2003 23:49

Another tip you could try is numbering all the lines. Then you can do a few phrases at a time. It will probably start off with something like 'In the name of God Amen....' and repeat 'my last will and testament' a few times and go on about 'being in sound disposition of mind'. You'll probably find when you get into it than you can do quite a few phrases at a time (leave asterisks or something for the bits you can't do) and you'll begin to recognise the names you're looking for. Then you can keep going back to it when you get more used to the style of handwriting. Don't expect the punctuation to help you! Sentences sometimes run into each other and even when you know what every word means, it can be ambiguous. Sue

S

S Report 24 Oct 2003 23:55

Oooops! Forgot to give you another link: http://homepages(.)rootsweb(.)com/~oel/courthand(.)html Good luck! Sue

Tricia

Tricia Report 25 Oct 2003 00:17

Hi Don't forget that S looked like an F , or perhaps it was the other way around. Tricia

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 27 Oct 2003 14:13

thankyou for all of your ideas,i will give it a try!!!:((( ive managed to decipher some of it,but its 6 pages long..lol susie

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Oct 2003 20:05

Susan, don't give up!! Also don't forget to let me know if you need another pair of eyes on it. Maz. XX