Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still can`t find grandfather`s parents.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 15:26

All I have is grandfather`s birth certificate. Born Albert Edward Ball Nov 1901. Father Charles Frederick, mother Annie Ball, formerly George. Fathers occupation, fisherman.

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 15:30

Grandfather was born in Hull. I have found the address on 1901, but although ticked as habited, there are no names there. I know grandfather had an older brother and sister, asked mum how much older Charles was than grandfather, and got the answer, quite a bit. Very helpful, but Mum is 80, and memories fade. I have tried to find a marriage, but with no luck. Any other ideas please

Jackie

Jackie Report 23 Oct 2003 15:43

hi carol, are you sure your grandfathers parents were english .have you tried looking elsewhere for a marriage. regards , jackie

Thomas

Thomas Report 23 Oct 2003 15:45

Could this be your missing marriage?VRI2nd editionBALLS, Charles Frederick Age: 25 Marriage Wife: Joanna GEORGE Age: 20 Marriage Date: 24 Dec 1892 Recorded in: Yarmouth, Norfolk, England Collection: St Nicholas Husband's Father: Frederick BALLS Wife's Father: James GEORGE Source: FHL Film 1526459 Dates: 1886 - 1899 Hope it's some use to you,Regards,Tony

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 15:47

I can`t be sure, but mum seems to think that everyone came from Hull. I can understand not finding great grandfather on census, he was a fisherman, so could have been at sea. But where was Annie and the 2 older children. She would have been a couple of months pregnant at the time of the 1901 census

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 15:49

Thanks Thomas, where did you find that? It is a possibility, as people tended to marry where the wife came from. I will definately check that out.

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 15:51

It is not beyond the realms of possiblity for a Joanna to use the name Annie informally, then it sticks.