Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 lookup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 23 Oct 2003 13:54

I am trying to establish a time period for the marriage of my GGGrandparents. They are George HARNESS (b.c1836Burton Pidsea,Yorks.)and Martha ATKINSON(b.c1839 Ottringham,Yorks.) In 1871 they have at least 2 children that i am aware of Mary(aged about 5 b.ottringham) and Samuel (aged about 2 b.Ottringham) In 1881 they are in Ottringham they have a child listed as born Preston,Yorks. in 1872 If anybody could find out for me whether there are any children born previous to the ones above it could save me an awful lot of credits on the 1837 site! thanks sharon

Sharon

Sharon Report 23 Oct 2003 20:18

nudge

Lynda

Lynda Report 24 Oct 2003 13:05

another nudge as I need this ingormation as well

Stephen

Stephen Report 24 Oct 2003 15:06

Cannot help with 1871, but on 1851 George and Martha Harness are living in Ottringham with their son Hubberd age 1 born Ottringham. George was born Sibsey Lincs and Martha in Preston. By 1861 the family has grown George Age 35 Occupation Agricultural Labourer Born Sibsey Lincs. Martha Age 32 Born Hedon (which is next to Preston ) Hubberd age 11 Catherine age 8 John H age 5 Sarah J age 2 Mary A age 6 months. All the children were born in Ottringham and the family are living on North Road Ottringham. There is also a Jess Harness and his family and Henry Harness with his family. They are both born Sibsey so presumably are George's brothers. The whole families are Jess Age 24 Ag.Labourer Born Sibsey Sarah Age 22 Born Ottringham John W Age 1 Born Ottringham They live at North Road, Ottringham. Possibly same place as George and his family their reference ends 077V whilst George is 077. !! Henry Age 35 Ag Labourer Born Sibsey Eliza Age 33 Born Halsham Yorks John Age 14 born Keyingham Sholata ? Age 10 Born Ottringham (This is a daughter) Mary J Age 9 born Keyingham Caroline Age 6 Born Ottringham Ann E Age 3 born Ottringham They live at West Road Ottringham If you are still struggling for 1871 census I will be going back to Beverley and the East Yorkshire archives but as yet I haven't fixed a date to go. Good luck Stephen By the way if you get the chance to go there they are great people and have been really helpful to me on my past visits.

Stephen

Stephen Report 24 Oct 2003 15:12

Just to throw a spanner in the works I have just found another George and Martha Harness in the same area. They are on the 1861 census at Ridgmont,Burstwick. George is age 26 Born Ridgmont Martha is 22 born Ottringham They have a daughter Ada Elizabeth Age 16 months born Keyingham. They also have a vistor Thomas Harness age 10 staying with them as a visitor. He is born Burstwick. Sorry Which one is yours ? Stephen

Sharon

Sharon Report 25 Oct 2003 02:48

thankyou Stephen my George and Martha are the second ones you found,George born Ridgmont and Martha born Ottringham. I was totally unaware of Ada I think they had a son George before 1871 but don't know for definate. If you do manage to get to look at the 1871 census i would love a look up....pretty please! sharon

Sharon

Sharon Report 26 Oct 2003 01:07

nudge