Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

By ship to Australia in 1906

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 23 Oct 2003 01:16

Hi My relative, Sam Moorhouse, left his family around 1906 to travel to Australia to try to find work. He couldnt afford the passage so he worked as a stoker to pay for the voyage there. I dont knowt the exact date, or which ship he travelled on. Does anyone know where I would start with this enquiry? Has anyone has success finding people who travelled to Australia by ship?

Patricia

Patricia Report 23 Oct 2003 01:23

http://www(.)blaxland(.)com/ozships/page(.)htm

Kate

Kate Report 23 Oct 2003 02:10

Hi Richard..wonder if this will help? http://www(.)naa(.)gov(.)au/The_Collection/Family_History/immigrants(.)html#passenger-lists Good Luck Kate

Kay

Kay Report 23 Oct 2003 14:17

Hi Richard You could also try www.users.on.net/proformat/auspass1b.html - This site has Autralia/New Zealand passenger list. www.immigrantships.net - this site has transcriptions of over 5000 ships passenger lists. Hope they help. Kay

Pomegranate52

Pomegranate52 Report 23 Oct 2003 14:39

Richard - if you knew the State he landed in it would be relatively simple as all States have indexes of ship arrivals and passenger lists going back to the First Fleet in 1789. YOu would just need someone in the relevant State to check out the records next time they are in their State Library. Knowing it was 1906 narrows it down - the departure port would be handy - the name of the ship you obviously don't have. IF it was Fremantle I'd be happy to check it out.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 23 Oct 2003 15:03

Tony, Could I be cheeky and ask you a question please as I assume you are in Oz? I had family go to NSW in 1885/87, do you know a website that could help me please. Thanks . Lynda