Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

G Grandfather married twice, but can I find his fi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:11

Can I eckaslike

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:15

On my great grandfather`s marriage certificate he is listed as widowed. I have found him with his first wife on 1881 census, also found his wifes death certificate. Just can`t find his marriage. Wife died 1887 at age 30, so born c1857. I have been right through the marriage indices for his surname from 1868 to 1890 when he married great grandmother. I have first wifes death certificate where it states wife of g grandfather. Sons birth certificates gives her name as g grandfathers surname, with a former surname Someone kindly checked the Scottish site for me, and nothing there Is it possible they were not married at all Anyone got any suggestions please?

Allie

Allie Report 22 Oct 2003 22:35

Where have you been looking? I know I had the same problem, Then daft as it sounds freeBMD did an update and there it was!!

Helen

Helen Report 22 Oct 2003 22:38

Post the name details, you never know, a BMD transcriber may have access to the page if it's not been done yet. I know I can access all the pages that have been allocated to my syndicate.

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:41

I used the fiche at an LDS centre. I wrote down every FLEW I found, and if there were none in any quarter, I made a note of it.

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:43

Thanks, probably needs fresh eyes. James Flew Catherine Cross Catherine died 1887 aged 30 I have found the James Jennings Flew and James Oliver Flew, but it is neither of those. Catherine was born in Bridgend, Wales

Helen

Helen Report 22 Oct 2003 22:50

Which area of the country are we talking? Did this all happen in Wales?

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 22 Oct 2003 22:55

Was your G Grandfather in the army or navy and serving abroad when the marriage took place? There are additional fiches for BMD abroad. Rosemary

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:56

Not sure, Catherine was born in Wales, died in Bristol. 2 sons were born in Bristol, 1 in 1880 and 1 in 1881 1 son died in Bristol, and 1 son died in Caerphilly, Wales, both in 1881. Great grandfather remarried in Devizes.

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 23:00

I am not sure about military service. Dad has never mentioned it. He was definately in this country in 1881 as he was the informant of his sons death, but where he was before that, I couldn`t be certain.

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 23:22

Carol, Any chance Catherine had been married before and therefore wasn't Catherine Cross when she married James? I have no idea if surnames from previous marriages are mentioned on birth certs. Crista

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 22 Oct 2003 23:28

it doesn't mention my previous married name on my kids birth cert just married name and maiden one Shelli

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 23:35

Just can`t fine a James Flew that fits the dates My dad got the certificate for James Jennings Flew, but then found a birth for him and the same wife after g grandfather had married 2nd time. Maybe I ought to try this James Oliver one. Why he would use a middle name though, and not on any other entry, I cant think. It is in Barnstaple, with all the toings and froings, anything is possible.

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 23:43

Carol, You can ignore the James Oliver Flew entry. He married Maria Howe Milton. Here they are on the 1881: James C. FLEW Head M Male 27 Tiverton, Devon, England Farmer Dairyman 30 Ac Maria H. FLEW Wife M Female 29 Molland, Devon, England Wife James FLEW Son Male 1 Bampton, Devon, England Crista

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 00:04

Thank you for that Crista, save me buying the certificate. Back to the drawing board.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Oct 2003 07:43

Have you actually searched the index for her rather than him? I couldn't find my grandparents marriage for ages until I looked for my grandmother's name. Grandfather's details had been wrongly transcribed. I had a fair idea of time and area, which helped. - hope you're lucky.