Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

someone help me please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 22 Oct 2003 19:53

I am trying to find information on my grandad but information is conflicting. His name was Benjamin Alfred Longhurst born Hackney. He married Lily Elizabeth Head dont know what year. He died when my Dad was a baby. My Dad was born 1935. I have found a Benjamin Longhurst on fbmd registered birth 1892, I have also found Benjamin in 1901 aged 12 and 1891 census aged 2. I dont know what his parents names were.I cant find any marriage information that might help me.My Nans date of birth is a cert 6/9/1892 hackney.What do you think? Any help appreciated Marie

Maxine

Maxine Report 22 Oct 2003 20:06

Hi there I would suggest getting your Nan and grandad's marriage certificate, have a look on freebmd or 1837online. If you canget their marriage cert it will tell you the fathers name, so you should then be able to find them on the 1901 census, and get the rest of their family at that time, enabling you to then move back to 1881. It may take a while to find their marriage, but I think it is definately the starting point if you are not sure which entry is your grandad. If your dad was born in 1935, I would start in 1935 and work backwards(unless you know he had an elder brother or sister, in which case start looking for the marriage the year they were born). Good luck Regards Maxine

Marie

Marie Report 22 Oct 2003 21:49

My dad was last of 12 brothers and sisters and Nan must have been about 43 at the time which makes it even harderto trace marriage.. marie

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 21:54

Marie, If you order your grandad's death cert. it should list his dob and where he was born. Crista

Helen

Helen Report 22 Oct 2003 21:59

Marie I would work forward on 1837 from when Lily was 16. I guess she must have started her family fairly young so you hopefully won't have too many years to go through to find the marriage. Head will be right near the beginning of the HEA's so will be easier (cheaper!) to look up on 1837 than LON for Longhurst.

Stan

Stan Report 22 Oct 2003 23:18

Hi Marie, The Benjamin Alfred Longhurst who was 2 and 12 at successive censuses must be the following: Oct-Dec 1888: Longhurst, Benjamin Alfred, Hackney 1b 514. I hope this helps. Stan

Stan

Stan Report 23 Oct 2003 00:27

Hi, Marie, Marriage of Benjamin Alfred Longhurst and Lily Elizabeth Head Jan-Mar 1910, Hackney, 1b 675. This should move thinmgs forward for you. Best wishes Stan

Stan

Stan Report 23 Oct 2003 00:45

Hi Marie Here is the last part of this puzzle: Death: Oct-Dec 1937, Longhurst, Benjamin A., 49, Rochford 4a 805. Best wishes Stan