Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to understand birth cert?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 22 Oct 2003 19:22

I have just received the birth cert that I have been waiting for for nearly 2 weeks. Unfortunately the most important information that I needed I am unable to read. Any advice? Thanks Liz

Andrea

Andrea Report 22 Oct 2003 19:26

I once had a query on a birth certificate as I was unable to read the address. I just Emailed the Registrar giving details of the certificate I had received from them and asked them to confirm what it said, which they did within the hour.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 22 Oct 2003 21:31

Hi, thanks for that. I purchased this from GRO southport, would the same apply their? liz

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 21:51

Any chance of scanning it, and sending it to me, and I will have a go. I will mail you, so you have my email addy

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 22 Oct 2003 21:59

Elizabeth, I had a certificate which I couldn't read, got it from the GRO I rang them and they asked me to send it back and said they would re do it. After waiting a week to get it I didn't want to wait any longer,so I showed it to everyone I saw and in the end someone cracked it, and of course once I knew what it was I couldn't see how I couldn't see what it was it before! ! But I must say I think a lot of the certificates I have are not the best of copies, they always seem to be quite "grainy" Lynda

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:05

Most of the ones I have are typed or printed I think it depends on which register office you get them from.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Oct 2003 22:19

I only have one that is photocopied and it's quite difficult to read. Perhaps thats why - maybe they don't want to make a mistake when trying to decipher the handwriting!! By the way it is dated 1872 and is much smaller than later certs that I have - does anyone know if this is usual? Sue.

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 22:25

I ordered some certificates from the same register office. The birth and death ones were smaller, printed ones, but the marriage certs were long green hand written ones. So, it cant be at the whim of the register office concerned