Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates pre 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 19:19

Is it possible to get a marriage certificate from 1747. Michelle

Stan

Stan Report 22 Oct 2003 19:25

Hi, Michelle, No. Marriage certificates as such start in 1837. Church marrige records provide similar information prior to that date. Most early Church records are now found in local archives, often with copies in libraries. These records, generally copied to microfilm or microfiche can be printed and some archives or libraries will provide photo-copies for a small fee. Stan

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 19:28

Stan Any idea how I could do that, I live in America? Any suggestion?? Hopefully Michelle

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Oct 2003 20:04

Hi, If the film Parish records have been filmed by the LDS you can order the film at one of their centres. Then when you find the marriage you can take a copy of it. If the records haven't been filmed the county record office staff will search for it and send you a copy - but there is a charge for the sevice. It may be cheaper to hire a local researcher to do it for you. The record office staff may be able to give you the name of a local researcher. Hope this helps, Gwynne

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 20:08

Thank you so much I never thougth of that! I keep telling myself I must go to the research centre, Now I have a reason to make myself go. Once again thanks Michelle

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Oct 2003 20:48

Michelle If you put the names and church on here, there is just a chance that someone will be going to a Record Centre or library that has the info and can copy it for you.