Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family search website

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 17:21

Has anyone ever bought any census or other software from the LDS website? How does the price compare etc. Which are the best ones to get. My research is based mainly in Durham with a little bit in Yorkshire and Devon/Cornwall. Thanks Michelle

Lucky

Lucky Report 22 Oct 2003 17:35

I have bought 1881 census £29.99, the 1851 three county census around £5.99 and the British Vital records about £25 from memory. The service is good and that price includes p&p. Beware buying from e bay. I've seen 1881 go for up to £100!! I haven't been overly impressed with the BVI version2. Haven't found hardly anything on there to help.

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 22 Oct 2003 17:43

Hello Michelle Have a look at http://www(.)parishchest(.)com it has some infor on Durham. Shirley

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 17:48

Thanks Diane I live in America and the Vital index is $20, the 1841 census is $6 and the 1881 census is $25.50. This looks to be a pretty good exchange rate, so I now know what I want for christmas! Michelle

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 18:00

Not sure what the LDS website sells, but if you only have a little bit of Devon, some people on here (including me) have the 1851 Devon census which comes with Norfolk and Warks, and I am happy to do lookups.

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 18:13

Thanks Carol The YOULDEN family is from Bridestowe in Devon in the 1700's by the 1830's my branch had moved to Bishopwearmouth in Durham They seem to be a large family with a liking to the name John or John Cornish. Michelle

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 20:46

Michelle, I ordered the VRI and I haven't had much luck with it. I'd say spend your money on something else first. Crista

Lucky

Lucky Report 22 Oct 2003 21:23

I agree with you crista, BVI2 and the NBI are the biggest waste of money. One thing I have recently bought is the british surname atlas. It cost £12. It has all the names from 1881 census and you put in your name and it tells you every area the name is in. It can give you an idea of where a name may have originated from. Again beware e bay. Somebody was bidding almost £30 for one.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 22 Oct 2003 21:30

I agree with Diane, beware of e-bay. Hubby thought he was being helpful and brought me the 1881 from there and paid £45 for it. £15 more than from the LDS or looking at it another way another two certs!!!! Shelli

Kay

Kay Report 23 Oct 2003 14:23

Michelle, I've got Durham 1871 on order becasue the majority of my family lived in the Bishopwearmouth/Monkwearmouth areas of Sunderland. When it comes I'll let you know - you never know our rellies could've been neighbours. Kay

Michelle

Michelle Report 23 Oct 2003 14:27

Thank you all for your help Kay I will probably take you up on that offer as part of my family came from Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland and surrounding areas. Michelle

Kay

Kay Report 23 Oct 2003 14:34

MIchelle, I still only live about 20 minutes from there as well. When I eventually get my little one to school (end of next summer!!) I'll also be able to go to the local resource library as well. I know it's a while away but time flies when you get stuck into this Kay